Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question About Yamaha Mouthpieces

I am a sax newbie who has been taking lessons for a few months and recently picked up a second horn (A Vito-branded Yamaha YAS-21) to leave on a stand in my living room so that I can get in a quick minute or two of practice whenever it's convenient. This sax came without a mouthpiece and I've been using a Yamaha 5C on it.

My "main" sax is a Yamaha YAS-62 "purple logo" that I've been playing with a Yamaha 5CM "Custom" mouthpiece. I'd like to have the two horns play as close to each other as possible and thought, without doing much research, that the 5C would be equivalent to the 5CM.

When I look at Yamaha's page with mouthpiece specs, though, it seems that the C series is generally .1 mm more open than the CM series. Is this correct? I've read elsewhere that the CM mouthpieces are more open, but Yamaha's numbers seem to contradict this.

Here's the page with the specs: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/winds/mouthpieces/saxophones/custom_standard.html#product-tabs

Are Yamaha's specs correct or are the descriptions of the CM mouthpieces being more open correct?

Thanks for helping out a confused newbie.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
5cm
1.6mm tip by 22mm facing length
5c
1.7mm tip by 23mm facing

You usually see tip openings in thousandths of an inch and that is 63 vs 67 and that's a pretty big difference though usually only one "step". The facing length is going to also make a pretty big difference in response depending on how sensitive you are. If you want them to play the same, you need them to have the same mouthpiece..... If you're leaving on a stand you'll probably want to look at Legere reeds as well since cane is not going to be conducive to that kind of practice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was a bit surprised by Yamaha's numbers since I've seen several references to the custom mouthpieces being more open. Clearly this isn't the case.

Looks like I'm going to buy another 5CM and a couple of Legere 3 reeds. I find that I play a lot more when an instrument is close at hand so I'm going leave a sax and a guitar on stands in my living room and get in a few minutes of practice whenever I can.

Thanks again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
But the C and the CM are different in design

Hey, the 4C and the 4CM are different in design. Tghe difference is not only in material.

The 4C has a round chamber whereas the Custom MPC, made of rubber has a square chamber like the S80 Selmer.
Nobody noticed that??? at least for Soprano it's the case.

Big difference. Most oft he CMs have a squarish chamber and the Cs have a round one. Also the tips on a CM will be .002" larger than the C for the same number.

In most instances the ones marked CM (Custom) are .002" more open than the ones marked C. I like the 4C much better than the 4CM on soprano. I compared teh 5C to the 4CM (both .049" on soprano) and liked the standard one better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts