Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
fuzzywuzzy said:
wat is the difference between the higher numbered meyers and the lower number meyers
example 4m to 7m?
The higher the number the more open the mouthpiece is -- usually you need to use softer reeds the higher you go --- I have a 10m and I like it and it's really easy to play -- it's all about personal preference - go to a store and try all of them and see what works the best for you
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
5,160 Posts
I believe the "M" Stands for facing length. Most prefer the Medium facing on the Meyers. The Chamber size is marked seperately on the shank. You can had a 5M Small Chamber Mouthpiece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
the m just stands for meyer. the number is the facing. the higher you go, the wider the facing. It depends on how experienced of a player you are on which facing you should get.
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,208 Posts
Sorry, been a while since I had a meYer. The chamber size is marked on the shank.
 

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
A Greene said:
I believe the "M" Stands for facing length. Most prefer the Medium facing on the Meyers. The Chamber size is marked seperately on the shank. You can had a 5M Small Chamber Mouthpiece.
What A Green said.

And BTW, the "M" does not stand for "Meyer".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well mostly wat i meant was do you guys know which opening is better for wat style of music?
and wat is musicaly different about the medium facing as opposed to the large or the small facing?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
13,033 Posts
fuzzywuzzy said:
well mostly wat i meant was do you guys know which opening is better for wat style of music?
and wat is musicaly different about the medium facing as opposed to the large or the small facing?
Facings come in long or short. Short makes high notes easier and long makes low notes easier.

Big tip openings are better suited to more flexible styles of playing which use bending of pitches quite often - Jazz, R&R, R&B. Small tips are better suited to more centered intonation type of playing - Classical transcriptions and "serious/Legit" music.

PS, a little spelling and some caps will go a long way around here in earning respect from other posters. Some don't reply to electronic forms of shorthand as they feel it isn't worth the effort if the poster won't take the effort to write out a clear post that can be understood by non native speakers, and even some native ones at that.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
5,160 Posts
Fuzzy,

5M and 6M seem to be the popular choices. I play a 6M with a Medium reed and it's a very good sound. I'm not sure anyone on SOTW can say how YOU will sound on this are any particular mouthpiece.

It's best to try a 5M or 6M and see which one works best. If you like the 6M try a 7M. If you like the 5M then also try the 4M. It takes a long time to find a set-up that will work for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I have a question - how good are the new, currently available Meyer MPs compared to the VanDoren line for lack of stuffiness, buzziness, immediacy of sound, high notes, low notes etc.?

ATJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Hi, I don't mean to steal the OP's thread, but since we're on the topic of meyers. I have a 7m stock meyer, and the railing seems uneven and the end of the mouthpiece doesn't look very even either. Are all stock meyers like this? how much would the mouthpiece change if I were to get it even out?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
42 Posts
wuts reeds for 6m?

jmm1713 said:
The higher the number the more open the mouthpiece is -- usually you need to use softer reeds the higher you go --- I have a 10m and I like it and it's really easy to play -- it's all about personal preference - go to a store and try all of them and see what works the best for you

Wut reeds should i use on a meyer 6m of alto? i always play on vandoren reedds. And also wuts the difference between a JodyJazz HR and Meyer HR mp?
THX PLEASE COMMENT.
 

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
Carl H. said:
Try posting in English, or French if you prefer.
wut?
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Joined
·
32,944 Posts
kaplac said:
I have a 7m stock meyer, and the railing seems uneven and the end of the mouthpiece doesn't look very even either. Are all stock meyers like this?
No.

kaplac said:
how much would the mouthpiece change if I were to get it even out?
Approximately 18 - 24%.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top