Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lately been thinking about this metal mouthpiece and i wonder is it like a S80 c*? I mean in terms of sound? Also what are your opinions about this mp?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Great mouthpieces, if you can find one that has a good facing. The more modern ones can be questionable. They have less baffle, but abut a smaller round chamber so they tend to be slightly brighter than the S-80 C* but with a much more centered sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I liked it better than an S80. To me it was more centered and had a richer tone. This might be because of the material. But it also has a round chamber instead of the square chamber the S80 has. For that reason, it might be more comparable to an S90.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I say none of the above. I find them the be like a Soloist model with the small round chamber. Remember that they come in classical and jazz models.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I have a vintage silver alto that plays great with a lot fuller sound than any of the later HR Selmers I've tried.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your guys experiences with these mps. I have one more question and its about round and square chambers, could you guys tell me the difference between them, In terms of sound and stuff. Also is this metal classic mp be able to do some jazz stuff like the S80 could?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
aviator875 said:
Also is this metal classic mp be able to do some jazz stuff like the S80 could?
Should do it better. I think I remember that Ralph Morgan asked Selmer when they were going to make a square saxophone for their mouthpieces when they changed them.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
saintsday said:
Should do it better. I think I remember that Ralph Morgan asked Selmer when they were going to make a square saxophone for their mouthpieces when they changed them.
How about a non-flat reed?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
aviator875 said:
I've lately been thinking about this metal mouthpiece and i wonder is it like a S80 c*? I mean in terms of sound? Also what are your opinions about this mp?
I played one for years, it worked better after I flattened the table, but I've moved to less classical, more open pieces. Its a nice piece though, I posted some pictures for a comparison to a beechler bellite a while ago here

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/iaink/sax stuff/

I'm seriously tempted to sell my D facing alto, its just gathering dust. Any idea what its worth?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
The one I have plays pretty well, but has a *lot* of resistance compared to my other metal alto mpcs. I prefer a more free-blowing mpc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts