Sax on the Web Forum banner

Question about Rigotti's S, M, L sub-ratings

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  swperry1 
#1 ·
I see that Rigotti offers their reeds in the standard way - but they also have a S, M and L sub rating. What does this mean and why do not all manufacturers rate this way?
Thanks,
Gramophone

#2 ·
l-light
m-medium
s-strong

ex. 2.5 light/2.5 medium/2.5 strong, they have these smaller divisions for each "number" strength.

Search Rigotti Gold on the forum, lots of info on strengths.

Rico Jazz Selects are this way, but they use s=soft, m=medium, h=hard...same idea though

Rigottis are great reeds, good luck

#3 ·
S=Strong
M=Medium
L=Light

The ones I have been ordering from Musician's Friend have been very consistent and needed no adjustments at all. I ordered some boxes direct from Rigotti and the first box has been a bit disappointing. All the reeds have played, but I have had to do a fair amount of work on them.

I think Rico Jazz Select does a similar rating.

#4 ·
I just had a similar experience. I bought 2 boxes of 2.5 mediums (not from WWBW or Rigotti). One box was noticably harder than the other box and both boxes felt more like 3's or 3.5's. I spent quite a bit of time working these down to fit my mouthpieces which usually play well on Java 2.5's. I really don't like these reeds. They remind me of Zondas. I was very disappointed since I read alot of positive comments on them. To me they have kind of a thinner, brighter tone. I prefer a thicker sound.

#6 ·
I really like the reeds, and will keep using them. Three years of taking them straight out of the box and playing every single reed can't be erased by one inconsistent box. I was playing Java 3.5's before I switched...got tired of trashing 3 out of every single box to find the 2 good ones. To me, the Rigotti's play like the best of the Vandorens. I guess that is why there are so many brands out there.

Gramophone: I assume just like every other company, the grades are thicknesses. I played 3.5M when I started with Rigotti's, when I started playing a larger tip opening I went to 3M. I also tried the 3S, and there is definitely a difference between 3.5M, 3S and 3M.

#7 ·
I love Rigotti Gold reeds. Having smaller increments between grades helps to have more usable reeds it seems. I rarely have had an unusable reed.

#8 ·
Okay, I get the smaller increment sub-categories. I still would like to know, as someone who typically plays LaVoz Medium or Medium soft, what would be an equivalent or similar sub-category with Rigotti Gold? I'd like to try a box, but I don't want to have to get 2 or 3 boxes off the bat because I can't figure out which will play similarly. Anyone have any suggestions?

#9 ·
LaVoz Mediums are a good strength for my setup, maybe a little on the soft side. I use Rigotti 3.5 light which feel a little stiffer. The 3 strong feels soft to me so I'd put the LaVoz Medium in that range. Around or between a 3 strong and a 3.5 light.

The Rigotti is a beefier reed and gives me a bigger sound than the LaVoz. The LaVoz couldn't hold up long when I played it. I'm getting a lot more mileage out of the Rigotti.

#15 ·
I've been trying out some LaVoz Medium and was also fortunate to be GIVEN two boxes of Rigottis by my former teacher - 2.5 Med and 2.5 Strong.
I would agree that (a) the 2.5 Strong run about the same strength as LaVoz Med, (b) the Rigottis are great and consistent compared to LaVoz or even Java (which I like but not as much as these Rigottis).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.