Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying some not that expensive tenor mouthpiece, as an replacement for my Early Babbit metal piece, which is 7 (0.100). I want to buy something bigger, and my friend told me about those crafted mouthpiece from Mr Pillinger. They are in my ,,price zone".

So my question is: have any of you had an opoortunity to compare Pillinger's tenor mouthpieces? I'm interested in NYT, NYT (side logo), NYTM and NYTHB models.

I would be grateful for any experiences of yours, becouse I'm not from Great Britain and I can't check the pieces by myself. (If you wonder why I'm buying mouthpiece without testing it my answer is - because it's in good money and I've heard a lot of good opinions and also they are hand-made.)

Cheers!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,008 Posts
I've got loads of Pillinger mouthpieces from 'nino to bass and they are great. I have also dealt with Ed Pillinger by email, on the phone and in person. He is very knowledgeable, friendly and good at communicating. I suggest you contact him directly.

Good luck.

Rhys

·
Registered
739 Posts
As rhysonsax mentioned Ed Pillinger's communication is excellent. Also, you don't have to be concerned with sending money for a mouthpiece and never receiving it or communication lapses after placing an order. I've been buying mouthpieces from Ed since about 2000 and his customer service is amazing. The very first time I did business with Ed I called him in London and talked with him about the different sound characteristics of his pieces, I paid him for one and he sent me a total of three pieces and said just keep the one I preferred and return the others. He had never done business with me before and trusted me to return two pieces that I hadn't paid for. Ed and his wife Suzanne are just lovely people.

My main tenor pieces are the Pillinger XHB 7*W and I also use the PL 7*W. Both pieces have full free blowing sounds with amazing power and projection.

I highly recommend you call Ed and discuss the sound characteristics of his pieces and which would be best suited to your needs.
You'll not be sorry you did.

Good luck...

·
Registered
162 Posts
+1 on Pillinger and his pieces. I visited him in London years ago and played a mess of mouthpieces. I played a Pillinger that was further voodoo’ed by Theo Wanne for Slant characteristics. I can’t speak to comparison among Pillinger’s stock models.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
I'd say not only is he probably the best maker in the world, but as mentioned his customer service is great - he cares that you end up happy with your mouthpiece. Unlike so many makers His actual knowledge of woodwind acoustics and ability as a performer are world class.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, thank you for your replies. I was already convince to buy mouthpiece from Mr Pillinger, but you convinced me now even more ;) Still - I would love to get some feedback from people, who compared some of those pieces. Cheers!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
Sorry I should have added the disclaimer that Ed does in fact make my PPT mouthpieces, so I suppose I am not complete unbiased, but it was his quality of work and skill, fair price, knowledge and support that led me to him in the first place of course.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd say not only is he probably the best maker in the world, but as mentioned his customer service is great - he cares that you end up happy with your mouthpiece. Unlike so many makers His actual knowledge of woodwind acoustics and ability as a performer are world class.
To further expand on Pete's point that "Ed cares that you're happy with your mouthpiece." I purchased another Alto mouthpiece ( I have four Pillinger alto pieces ) from Ed and after receipt I was discussing a very minor cosmetic anomaly with him via e mail and unsolisited he sent me another one without hesitation. I didn't ask him to do that nor did I imply that was necessary as the original piece played amazing. He refused to accept payment for the second piece but I sent the money anyway as I couldn't have him make a new piece to my specs and not receive compensation for his work. Ed's customer service is otherworldly and you obviously know that I love his mouthpieces as I own 6 of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, thank you for your replies. Have you compared the same Pillinger models in diferrent materials? For exapmle SHB NYT vs Bronzite NYT?

·
Registered
84 Posts
To further expand on Pete's point that "Ed cares that you're happy with your mouthpiece." I purchased another Alto mouthpiece ( I have four Pillinger alto pieces ) from Ed and after receipt I was discussing a very minor cosmetic anomaly with him via e mail and unsolisited he sent me another one without hesitation. I didn't ask him to do that nor did I imply that was necessary as the original piece played amazing. He refused to accept payment for the second piece but I sent the money anyway as I couldn't have him make a new piece to my specs and not receive compensation for his work. Ed's customer service is otherworldly and you obviously know that I love his mouthpieces as I own 6 of them.
Always refreshing to hear of another mouthpiece maker who is willing to work with you in helping you get to where you want to go. Rather than charging a large chunk of change for a piece that you don't even have a chance to try before you buy and having no return policy if it doesn't work for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have two alto pieces and a tenor from him. They’re all great and are definitely the best of the best! If any one wants to trade or sell me one, message me!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying some not that expensive tenor mouthpiece, as an replacement for my Early Babbit metal piece, which is 7 (0.100). I want to buy something bigger, and my friend told me about those crafted mouthpiece from Mr Pillinger. They are in my ,,price zone".

So my question is: have any of you had an opoortunity to compare Pillinger's tenor mouthpieces? I'm interested in NYT, NYT (side logo), NYTM and NYTHB models.

I would be grateful for any experiences of yours, becouse I'm not from Great Britain and I can't check the pieces by myself. (If you wonder why I'm buying mouthpiece without testing it my answer is - because it's in good money and I've heard a lot of good opinions and also they are hand-made.)

Cheers!
I'll add my endorsement of Ed's work and customer care as being exemplary!
But you asked a question about the NY tenor pieces:
the NYTM is quite a warm sounding piece with a slightly smaller throat than the NYT and less punch
The NYT is, as you might expect a right-down-the-middle piece tonally, some warmth, some edge but basically a traditional tenor sound.
The NYT HB can be much brighter to the extent that it can compete with a Berg type piece, but of course Ed can temper the brightness very easily and reduce it if you want.
Any of Ed's pieces can be adjusted as you want.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ed Pillinger is just such a great guy to deal with! Fantastic service and excellent work. I bought a NYT Side Sig last year. After a while I found it a bit to bright for my taste. I tried to sell it, but where I live, it is difficult to sell mouthpieces. I wrote to him some weeks ago, to hear if he maybe would reface and make it a bit darker and warmer. I would of course pay for the job. But he told me that I only would have to pay for the shipping. What a service! :)

Got it back last week after several mails where he asked about my sound concept. He closed it down from an 8 to a 7*, made the beak less high and did some modifications to the baffle. It now plays sweet, warm and darker with a good core. Love it so far. So all my recommendations!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I live near Ed and love trying his mouthpieces out. He’s so into what he does and genuinely interested in what the player is after. I honestly think he does the best facing work I’ve ever seen.
Ed put a 5* facing on my Meyer NY 10yrs about and it’s been my main piece for years-I had a backup made that plays great too. When I stupidly dropped it and snapped the tip, he still had my measurements, fixed it, and it played even better.
Ed's a lovely guy, and I’d recommend giving him a call and describing what you’re after.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,712 Posts
Always refreshing to hear of another mouthpiece maker who is willing to work with you in helping you get to where you want to go. Rather than charging a large chunk of change for a piece that you don't even have a chance to try before you buy and having no return policy if it doesn't work for you.
Those with faith in their work and product can afford the conscious choice to operate with ethics. The rest...decide for yourself where their interests lie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts