Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched to tenor from playing alto for 22 years,Yas82 which got stolen. So what I have right now is a opus usa which was a gift and it came with a premier hite tenor mouthpiece in new conditions by the way nice full tone with fibracell 5. I've been having GAS to buy a v16 to see if I get a better tone but maybe I should stay where I'm at since I like it. Does anyone know anything about the 29.99 plastic premier hite? Are they consider good since I'm new to tenor, or should I move to v16?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,321 Posts
Does anyone know anything about the 29.99 plastic premier hite? Are they consider good since I'm new to tenor, or should I move to v16?
Yes they are good. generaslly considered beginner mouthpieces, however after 22 years of alto I see nothing wrong with experimenting and trying different mouthpieces.

Whether the best one for you is a Vi16 or soemthing else, nobody can answer - only you can know by trying them out. My instinct would also be to try different reeds, but maybe that is purely because I've never got on with Fibracells. (Disclaimer: I am a Legere endorser and always recommend Legere Signature, though I also recommend to try some cane reeds)

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have a Hite Premier, and while it’s considered a “student” mouthpiece, it’s a very good piece. Don’t let the price or the student designation sway you. If you like it, play it. Like Pete said, I would try a bunch of different reeds with it to see the difference. You’ll spend far less money on reeds than you would a new mouthpiece.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they are good. generaslly considered beginner mouthpieces, however after 22 years of alto I see nothing wrong with experimenting and trying different mouthpieces.

Whether the best one for you is a Vi16 or soemthing else, nobody can answer - only you can know by trying them out. My instinct would also be to try different reeds, but maybe that is purely because I've never got on with Fibracells. (Disclaimer: I am a Legere endorser and always recommend Legere Signature, though I also recommend to try some cane reeds)
The only thing I don't like about v16 is the tip opening . for a t6 is about .098 that's large for me coming from an alto meyer 5. yes the fibracells are pretty buzzy even the 4.5 and 5 after a week of use.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As of right now I'm liking the fibracell 4.5 and 5 regardless of the buzz. I'm just wondering if the tone is better on a v16 t6 since it has round chamber and scooped sides. I kind of like the medium bright of this piece.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,321 Posts
I have a Hite Premier, and while it’s considered a “student” mouthpiece, it’s a very good piece. Don’t let the price or the student designation sway you. If you like it, play it.
I agree, don't be put off by the "student" or "beginner" label. If you like it compared to others, then stick with it.

I'm just wondering if the tone is better on a v16 t6 since it has round chamber and scooped sides.
It doesn't work like that, ie round chamber and scooped sides don't equate to better tone, otherwise all mouthpieces would be like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts