Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just got registered and I apologize if I chose wrong forum part, but here it goes-

I recently bought an Opus Professional Soprano Saxophone via ebay for like 200$-ish and I am quite happy with the buying as I just bought it for fun- no serious business.

Though I must say I'm unhappy with the tiny and plastic mpc I got with it, I dare to say that it is the mpc that keeps me from getting a good intonation in the high pitches as the saxophone itself seems fit, and I'm no newbie coming to saxophones so hopefully it's not the player:mrgreen:

So I have been googling some, and it sounds like if I want to have a decent mpc for a cheap price, one would want to buy a pice from Rico right?

I am thinking about getting a Graftonite or a Metalite one, but I'm insecure what number I should get, or if I should have something different?

I have been playing on my Yamaha alto for ten years, and a Yamaha tenor for four years, both running on the standard of a 4C mpc, though I get very good results in both solo playing, big bands and orchestras.

For the last years I have been used to be playing with a fibracell reed, so to be safe than sorry I have ordered one for soprano just in case- I find it hard to get a good tune in the soprano with a wooden reed, but I guess that's mostly because I am used to be playing tenor, plus with a plastic reed.

What would you guys advice me to get?
I will mostly play solo as I will take it with me on my travel to Greece, so I have no particular band or anything to regard to.

I hope I have made myself clear and that I'm not confusing you guys!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
118 Posts
+1 Yamaha 4C. When I bought my soprano sax I have a hard rubber piece. The hard rubber one (0.055)was so hard for me to play at first time. I listened suggestions from some experienced players here and began with 4C. The 4C is so easy to blow and the intonation is easier to control. I think I improved a lot in the past few months and gained much confidence with 4C.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not a yamaha 4C? They are very good.
Thanks for your reply!
Well, perhaps that could be a good idea since I'm used to it!
But is it better for a soprano than a Graftonite?

+1 Yamaha 4C. When I bought my soprano sax I have a hard rubber piece. The hard rubber one (0.055)was so hard for me to play at first time. I listened suggestions from some experienced players here and began with 4C. The 4C is so easy to blow and the intonation is easier to control. I think I improved a lot in the past few months and gained much confidence with 4C.
Thank you for your very informative reply!
I can imagine it's easy to blow because I've had no trouble at all on my other saxes!
Question is, what ligature would you recommend for a 4C?
As (as far as I know) the mpc doesn't come with a lig!

Why not try a Morgan Vintage - very good value for money!
I've tried googling it because this brand's new to me, I found a few sites selling it for 95 bucks is this accurate?

Perhaps I should've said that I'm looking for a cheap but decent mpc, preferably under 50$

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
What works for me probably will not work for you. My advice would be to spend some money on the mouthpiece. Having said that, I have most of the mouthpieces mentioned already. For performances I prefer the Morgan Vintgae in both 6 and 7. I also have three Selmer Super Sessions in their J facing. I MUCH prefer open tips with softer reeds.

The Rico Metallite is okay - I have one but don't use it. The Yamaha 4C is okay, too, but I don't use it. Of those two, I think the Fibracell (I use the Premiere 1 1/2) may be your best bet on the 4C.

You'll receive all sorts of recommendations - some like 'em close, some like 'em open. Neither one is "correct". It all depends on uour personal embouchure, style, and tonal concepts. Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no "better", just opinions on what is better for the person giving the opinion.
All true friend, perhaps I should've asked this instead- have you tried any more than the 4C but you prefer this?
And in that case, why?

What works for me probably will not work for you. My advice would be to spend some money on the mouthpiece. Having said that, I have most of the mouthpieces mentioned already. For performances I prefer the Morgan Vintgae in both 6 and 7. I also have three Selmer Super Sessions in their J facing. I MUCH prefer open tips with softer reeds.

The Rico Metallite is okay - I have one but don't use it. The Yamaha 4C is okay, too, but I don't use it. Of those two, I think the Fibracell (I use the Premiere 1 1/2) may be your best bet on the 4C.

You'll receive all sorts of recommendations - some like 'em close, some like 'em open. Neither one is "correct". It all depends on uour personal embouchure, style, and tonal concepts. Dave
Thank you for your reply Dave!
Well as I'm a newbie on soprano I didn't know what hardness I should have on the reeds, I usually run with 2-2½ on both alto and tenor (medium soft with fibracell) and the single reed I got with the soprano sax were also 2½.
Though I have ordered a Fibracell Premier (never tried it before) of 2 in strenght, we'll see how that goes :)

I'm really not sure how I want my mpc to be, I prefer to play on the tenor as it's so open and easy to play on especially with a fibra reed, with this wooden 2½ reed on the soprano, I'm almost biting my lip of as I need to push so hard for intonation and a good tune.

So if I have got it right, you'd say my best bet would be buying the 4C if I use fibracell reeds?

I'd love to put some money on the mouthpiece but I recently spend 200/250 bucks on the sax and a plane ticket for almost 300 so I'm running low at the moment, I'd be happy with a decent one for like 50$ tops, I'm young so I have plenty of time to save up for a better one (and a better sax) eventually ;)

How about ligature, any recommendations for a 4C?
Yamaha standards?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,219 Posts
I hate to say this but the intonation issues are NOT because of the 'cheap plastic mouthpiece'. It's the horn.My son-in-law has an Opus soprano and uses a C*. It can not be played in tune.
I know for a fact that the problem isn't with him! Believe me, he has tried EVERYTHING and it just can't be done.

You'll be fine with it if you don't mind crappy intonation. Just don't try to play along with anything 'pre-recorded' or in any kind of ensemble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yamaha 4C is the best choice, no question.
Thanks, seems like it's popular!
And I who thought I would be seen as a newbie as I've always run with it on my other saxes :p
Hi I have been using the Yam 4c with BG standard lig, on my sop. nice smooth round sound.

http://www.woodbrass.com/en/bg-ligature-de-saxophone-soprano-l14-standard-p11881-af833.html
Thanks for your reply and for the lig recommendation!
I have never tried a lig like that befor, I've always used the two-screw thing.. perhaps it's time to try out new stuff!

I hate to say this but the intonation issues are NOT because of the 'cheap plastic mouthpiece'. It's the horn.My son-in-law has an Opus soprano and uses a C*. It can not be played in tune.
I know for a fact that the problem isn't with him! Believe me, he has tried EVERYTHING and it just can't be done.

You'll be fine with it if you don't mind crappy intonation. Just don't try to play along with anything 'pre-recorded' or in any kind of ensemble.
Thank you for your reply bandmommy!
I think that both reed, mpc, lig, neck and body need to be in harmony to make the perfect sax so if you'd ask me I think I can at least make some difference changing the moutpiece but who knows!
Sorry to hear about your son-in-law's Opus..
I have noticed that it can be hard to play to SOME pre-recorded playalongs and stuff but I have been able to play to playalongs, cd's and other stuff.
When it comes to the low notes, it's abit off-tune, and it's getting worse if I have played for a while.
But I honestly sat and jammed to a whole CD of Kenny G and got in tune 80% through the whole CD :)
Though I apreciate your input and experience, I will keep it in mind!
I am most likely going to play solo as I will be abroad for quite some time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bumping the thread!
I have just got my Fibracell Premium reed and I can play the soprano very easily now, and it gives me more freedom bending the tones and more intonation abilities (I think).
Still I want to buy a decent mpc, and I am more than happy for more tips on mpc's and ligatures!

A Yamaha 4C with a BG 14 lig would cost like 70 bucks (it's 500 swedish kronor, my roof for how much I want it to cost tops) so forget I said 50$, my price range goes to like 70 :p

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I mention the 4C not because it is cheap (ablut $20US here). I have used Links, Selmers, no-names and anything I can find over the past 48 years of playing soprano on Martins, Bueschers, Kings, Selmers, Yanagisawas and Conns and I find the Yamaha mouthpieces to be excellent at any price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
+1 on the 4C. I just get one for a student friend. I went to a Sam Ash in Vegas and only had 2 of them. One with bad table, the other was ok. If you have a chance, check the facing of the MP. By the way, there was a jody jazz classic (or whatever) for soprano on $168. I never had the chance to see it so I asked to show me the mp. To my eyes, very bad facing. The table had some kind of saw mark at the beginning of the mp. The guy showed me a bari red also and the same...I thought jody jazz was a good mp, but not anymore.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Not to disturb the harmony, but I had excellent results with a Rico Graftonite B5 on soprano; if you're used to 4Cs, I'd recommend a B3 rather than a B5. Graftonites are so cheap that they're bound to be worth a try - as are the Metalites (I love them on bari). And of course, as others have said, YMMW.

The 4C is a reliable choice, though - just not my cup of tea in the ultra-cheap range, regardless of the horn. But since my mouthpiece of choice on soprano is a PPT 6, I'd say a recommendation by Pete Thomas is something to go by.

Whatever you do, *play* a lot of mouthpieces before buying. Since your budget is pretty tight, you won't be able to experiment (which is a pity, especially if there are issues with the horn), so trying out is of the essence. I'd put mouthpiece over ligature, by the way. What a mouthpiece doesn't deliver, a ligature can't mend (if at all - that's a matter of much debate).

M.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
I mention the 4C not because it is cheap (ablut $20US here). I have used Links, Selmers, no-names and anything I can find over the past 48 years of playing soprano on Martins, Bueschers, Kings, Selmers, Yanagisawas and Conns and I find the Yamaha mouthpieces to be excellent at any price.
Have to agree with BB. I use a 6C on my Soprano soon to be a 7C (which is still only .53 ish). I have tried quite a few as well; They punch well above their weight.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've tried a variety of setups, and I keep coming back to the Yamaha 4C or 6C with a Rico Royal #2 reed. The only difference between the 4C and the 6C that I can tell is the 6 seems just a little less loud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My reply to all of you disappeared, so I'll try to redo it-
Thank you very much for your recommendation!
I think I'll go with the 4C after all very good recommendations in this thread!
Not to disturb the harmony, but I had excellent results with a Rico Graftonite B5 on soprano; if you're used to 4Cs, I'd recommend a B3 rather than a B5. Graftonites are so cheap that they're bound to be worth a try - as are the Metalites (I love them on bari). And of course, as others have said, YMMW.

The 4C is a reliable choice, though - just not my cup of tea in the ultra-cheap range, regardless of the horn. But since my mouthpiece of choice on soprano is a PPT 6, I'd say a recommendation by Pete Thomas is something to go by.

Whatever you do, *play* a lot of mouthpieces before buying. Since your budget is pretty tight, you won't be able to experiment (which is a pity, especially if there are issues with the horn), so trying out is of the essence. I'd put mouthpiece over ligature, by the way. What a mouthpiece doesn't deliver, a ligature can't mend (if at all - that's a matter of much debate).

M.
Thank you for your reply MoonMind!
I have heard good things about Graftonite so it was a good and educational reply you posted :)
I'll do my best to try some mpc's out before I buy it, though it's not only the budget that's tight, it's also a matter of time as I'll go abroad in three weeks- but I hope I'll be able to ship from Thomann as they're usually sending their items within three to five business days!
Thinking about ligatures and what you said about mpc's, would that mean that I technically would do fine with just a standard lig from Yamaha?
I think they're pretty cheap
Have to agree with BB. I use a 6C on my Soprano soon to be a 7C (which is still only .53 ish). I have tried quite a few as well; They punch well above their weight.
Thank you for your recommendation!
Would you recommend a 6C before a 4C, in that case why?
I've tried a variety of setups, and I keep coming back to the Yamaha 4C or 6C with a Rico Royal #2 reed. The only difference between the 4C and the 6C that I can tell is the 6 seems just a little less loud.
Thanks for your input!
My sopranos' sound have changed alot since I swap reed to a fibra premium, so it's a stronger and more clear tone- perhaps a 6C would be a good choice regarding to that lol :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts