Sax on the Web Forum banner

Question about Mouthpieces in regards to sound...

1956 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  bLu3sU3d3
Hello all,
Ive been playing sax about a year now (off and on kinda...), anyways im playing a Kessler Custom Tenor, with the mouthpiece it came with (the OL7 one). No matter what I do, I cant get the kind of sound I like. Id describe what im getting as soft and low, no buzz whatsoever. What I do like, is the edgey buzzy "ripping" sound, the "Boots Randolph" sound. Im buying a Dukoff D8 to see if that helps at all (I read thats what he used), but I dont know if it takes just the mouthpiece to get the "buzziness". Am I doing something wrong embouchure wise to get this rather depressing low sound?
1 - 1 of 9 Posts
Ok there is a trick I learn somewhere before, you can use this method to determine how much you should put yr mpc in.
Set up yr mpc with yr reed. Use a piece of paper, and slide in between the reed and the mpc. Thru the opening that is. The paper will eventually get stuck coz the reed and the table of the mpc 'closes' in. Then draw a line on yr reed where the paper stops. That should be the position of yr upper jaws for it. Ideally it should work, if not move inward or outward slightly.
1 - 1 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.