Sax on the Web Forum banner

Question about modifying a New Otto Link STM Soprano

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  birdlives1955 
#1 ·
What would be the effect of removing the squeeze throat and opening up the facing?

Essentially making it somewhat like the older links.

B:)

Discussion starter · #3 ·
By making the chamber volume larger, it will make the sax play flat if you place it at the same position on the neck cork as before the modification. As you push it in to tune the mid-range of the sax, it will sharpen the high notes more than the low notes. This could fix a problem if the high notes were flat to begin with, or create a problem if they were in tune to begin with.

The tone will get darker, but if the intonation is difficult to lip in tune, then this is a bad trade-off IMO. For a darker sound, it would be better to leave the chamber alone and try lowering the baffle near the tip. This will make the sound darker without making the chamber volume substantially larger.
This is pure conjecture on my part because the recent Early Babbit "Super" TM I bought for alto plays so well when compared to my squeeze throat alto pieces. BTW, it had the exact mods you describe just by another refacer prior to my purchase.

Back to piece in question though. The STM 8* soprano piece does play well enough but I want less resistance and a warmer upper octave range.

B:)

Discussion starter · #7 ·
"Broader" or "more spread" or "less focussed" is a better characterization of the wider throat change than "darker" as I said above.
Yes Broader would be the perfect description to say what I am seeking. I like the overall characteristics of the stock Link piece on my soprano but it could be more suited for me if it were less focused. Thanks MOJO.

B

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Hey Morgan, thanks for your kind words. This week I've been praised by 2 solid craftsmen (you and another MPC maker I look up to) and it surely feels flattering.

It would only be fair to point out that this is my hobby not main income, I "procrastinate" away from the sax and clarinet overhaulin' doing this kind of stuff... it's like using the much needed time off (from a certain project) in another project. Plus I'm counting in getting a used piece with cap and ligature as a core, for about 100 usd shipped to me (wich is what I paid for the "blank" that I used there, about 90 bucks shipping to argentina included) and I think I might have been a little too optimistic there.
It is exactly what I was thinking thanks for the pictures. B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.