Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a thread here (maybe?) about the quirks of adjusting the left hand pinky "spat/cluster" on a 10M.......in regards to it being a pain for repair tech's to work on. I'm specifically referring to getting the low C# to not "bubble" open while I'm playing loud and pushing a lot of air through the horn. The typical "fix" to this would probably be to torque the spring on the low C#. I seem to remember a thread here where this was discussed? Either that, or alzheimer's is taking an early toll on me!

Thanks in advance!
John

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
The C#spring only needs enough tension to stop the key opening when upside down. The spring is quite heavy gauge and hardly needs any 'angle' if good quality. The touchpiece ('pinky') needs to connect to the G# without ANY free travel. G# uses a flat spring which can be set quite firm due to the leverage,without making the key hard to depress.
The G# on M series Conns is IMO excellent, so is the placement of B and Bb. Someday I plan to put an articulated C# mech on a 10m without interfering any way with the table layout. BTW make sure the spring cradle on C# has no burrs and put some silicon grease in it. Grease the C# touchpiece arm which connects to G#this will have cork on which can be replaced with synthetic low friction material if desired but, again IMO good quality cork, well greased is equally as good.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The C#spring only needs enough tension to stop the key opening when upside down. The spring is quite heavy gauge and hardly needs any 'angle' if good quality. The touchpiece ('pinky') needs to connect to the G# without ANY free travel. G# uses a flat spring which can be set quite firm due to the leverage,without making the key hard to depress.
The G# on M series Conns is IMO excellent, so is the placement of B and Bb. Someday I plan to put an articulated C# mech on a 10m without interfering any way with the table layout. BTW make sure the spring cradle on C# has no burrs and put some silicon grease in it. Grease the C# touchpiece arm which connects to G#this will have cork on which can be replaced with synthetic low friction material if desired but, again IMO good quality cork, well greased is equally as good.
Thanks much, BF! Appreciate your insight!

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts