Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious to know what happened to the horns of Grover Washington Jr after his death. I know he played Keilwerth horns.

So sad that he died. He was very talented.

Were his horns sold???

What was his setup on baritone saxophone??
I've heard him play Bari sax on his rendition of "Just the way you are." and on his album "Aria".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
What of the horn on the cover of "Reed Seed"?

I thought that was a Yanagisawa Elimona.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I have seen him live playing on a Mark VI alto and a Couf tenor. Whatever he played one he was one of the best ever, IMHO. He played the music he loved and did it very well. His music is so fluid it sounds easy until you try to transcribe it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
For a while, Grover was endorsed by Yamaha. This was a very short period. Yes, most of his horns were sold to various players in the area. Grover also had a bunch of sax necks to go along with the horns he played over the years. The only neck that I know of that's still local is his gold plated yamaha tenor neck. Now it's owned by Denis DiBlasio in South Jersey. He's a Bari Player, but uses the neck with his older Yamaha tenor (I think it's an old 62).

Grover is one of my heros! He was always a topic of conversation every time I visited Theo Wanne when he lived in Philly. Good times.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen him live playing on a Mark VI alto and a Couf tenor. Whatever he played one he was one of the best ever, IMHO. He played the music he loved and did it very well. His music is so fluid it sounds easy until you try to transcribe it.

I agree, I saw him in a video that I saw and he was at the 1988 Rhode Island Jazz Fest probably with a Mark VI Alto sax..

I love his rendition of "Jammin'".

Whenever I listen to the song "Jammin'" I imagine playing it on my sax to cheer someone up whenever they're having a bad day.

While listening to this song, I also imagine myself driving a convertible on the Manhattan Bridge en route to another state while the sun rises.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What of the horn on the cover of "Reed Seed"?

I thought that was a Yanagisawa Elimona.
Dr G, good to see you on this forum! I think that horn on his cover of Reed Seed is probably an old Conn curved soprano sax.

·
32,936 Posts
Sop on cover of Reed Seed?

Dr G, good to see you on this forum! I think that horn on his cover of Reed Seed is probably an old Conn curved soprano sax.
Really? I don't recall any Conns looking like that - removable neck??? I cannot find a good high res photo of the album cover - nor do I have my album anymore.

Could we get a more definitive effort on that? Could you find a good photo so we could get a consensus? I'm relying on a 30+ year old recollection here (the album came out in '78 or so).

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I vaguely recall reading that the horn on that album cover was a prop.

On second thought I can't remember what I read about that album photo.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Well, whatever horn he was playing I love his sound and playing. Think I know what you mean about transcribing him, his best playing has so much nuance in terms of shading and timing.

Speaking of sound, something about his tone always reminds me of Joe Henderson. Dark, rich, robust. Gritty.

·
32,936 Posts
Joe Henderson/Grover Washington Jr...

Interesting to hear such similar tones with such disparate set ups. Now THERE's something for the gear chasers to consider.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking too...

·
32,936 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Thanks, Tim.

I think the bamboo was real tho' - representative of his preferred reed strength!
Your most welcome Dr G'...You know he used 5 reeds I bet. Hence the inside humor.:)

I guess, It just grabs me a bit when I think of it. The " gig bags" Grover had, very beautiful brown custom bags...were made by Philly bassist Tyrone Brown. Ty is close friend, and great bassist. Decades with Max Roach. ( Ty can put Rhythm changes up about 310 on the metronome, and just fry it and KEEP it there for hours ) But, as we talk about the stuff about Grover...It's NOT so long AGO THAT HE JUST DROPPED DEAD. Just a year ago, Sid Simmons a long time GROVER pianist died, and left a gap in the Philly scene. But here's a rub....maybe I'm just yaking but....I saw Grover at close range a year before he passed at a repair shop in Mannyunk ( Outside Philly, in the Burbs, Side C will know the spot ) and we were just talking, playing each others stuff and...I tried those COUFS. They were COUFS!! Get it. :) Just road worn, played in, road beat saxes that Grover took care of. Played cool- but that was that- The magic was Grover. He practiced a lot. Told me he shed'd with records a lot too...Bought ALL the CTI stuff and would just jam with it. I started to play my horn, and play a line....and he was shadowing me like mad!!! I let it get deeper and added chromatic s and he was ON IT...The guy had a EAR that was no joke. I heard storys from Sid about _ONE TAKE STUFF_in the studio and all and always believed it. This guy, even though he was who he was, WAS a monster and a sweet heart of a guy. NO EGO...NO VIBE just a fun guy who got what was coming. In todays world with all the self pro'duced 55 takes for a 3 minuite radio slot LOL [rolleyes], GROVER STOOD TALL, He was a blessing and a benchmark. And no WIRED IN STUFF..his hits were stable....but he blew on them. Not took it safe...recently I saw a few guys really go safe and note for note thatit made me shudder. NEVER...saw Grover do that!!! AND THE ENERGY!!!

GOOD BARI PLAYER TOO!!! I never saw him late, or coppin' a mouth on his band or the club- just playing and playing.

His musicianship should be studied as much and MORE than his gear, IMHO.
But hey, that's just me talking, we're all different.Just a thought.:)

HTH.

·
32,936 Posts
Thanks, Tim. That touched me - I was a Grover fan from the early '70s. I last saw him in Berkeley when he was introducing the young band "Pieces of a Dream". He was a very genuine person, humble, etc. and very giving to those around him.

Thanks for sharing this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Thanks, Tim. That touched me - I was a Grover fan from the early '70s. I last saw him in Berkeley when he was introducing the young band "Pieces of a Dream". He was a very genuine person, humble, etc. and very giving to those around him.

Thanks for sharing this.
No Dr G'..Thank YOU. It's important that musicians KNOW whose these guys are...but more so that they are also genuine people. Not some limo riding' , media enabled etc etc.
The other thing...and this is something quite OBVIOUS in GW's stuff....The blues overtone. " MISTER MAGIC"...WAS WHAT IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE FEEL THAT GROVER HAD VIA HIS
BLUES PLAYING. Case in point as they say :)

Grover was aware of his ROOTS to..big bands, piano trios all that. Always checking things out. I'd see him ALL THE TIME when Roland Kirk was playing. And not walking about with his
horn, sitting in the chair listening TO RRK.

Like LAMPLIGHT said to me the other day...maybe we're getting older? In any case.....FORWARD!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts