Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I'm new here at the forum so I hope I'm writing this at the right place, I apologize otherwise.

This is my question/problem:

I have for a couple of years now been the owner of an old Dave Guardala mouthpiece. It's not really my kind of mouthpiece so I have never really played it. From what I understand, these mouthpieces some times go for pretty large amounts of money on ebay. I'm pretty short on cash right now, so I've decided to sell it. Also, I would prefer that someone who appreciated it more than I do owned it.

Problem is I don't really know much about it, more than what says on the box. It's in it's original box, and the label says:

Dave Guardala Mouthpieces Inc.
Studio Alto.
Silver Plated.

So what can you tell me about these Studio Alto mouthpieces? Is this a hand made mouthpiece? How much are they usually worth?

The mouthpiece is almost never played, so it's in very good condition.
I don't know when the guy I bought it from got it, but he bought it new sometime in the eighties I would guess.

Thanks for the help!

// Jens Filipsson.

Edit:

I left out some info that I wanted to share:
The mouthpiece have two "inscriptions" (don't know a better word in english). First is the initials of Dave Guardala, DG.
Then comes something I guess is a model and serial number, namely:
SA 1167

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Sounds like a handmade one to me. I don't think there are any LT alto pieces.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
I think they're handmade.

Check

saxophones.co.uk

they have alto Studio Guardalas on sale. You can compare and get an idea of what it might be worth. I would say, then subtract 30-40%, depending on the condition of the mouthpiece, and you will have a good indication of how much you could ask for it.

Good luck with the sale

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey everyone!
Thanks a lot for all your great advices, so kind of you!

MojoBari: I checked out your site and I think I found my mouthpiece there, I'm pretty sure it's this one:

http://www.mojomouthpiecework.com/Photos/tabid/59/AlbumID/386-82/Default.aspx

I have received some buying offers here on the forum, and I'm not sure what's best, to sell it here or on ebay? I have never sold anything on ebay before, anyone have any tips or ideas on that?

Thanks a lot guys, your advices are really appreciated!

Take care!
// Jens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts