Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our band uses a Mackie DFX 12
http://www.mackie.com/products/dfx12/index.html

We use some delay for all vocals and my sax.

I use a Shure Beta 57 mic and it goes straight into the board. We always get a clean noise free quality sound.

Years ago I used a Peavey Ultraverb for reverb on ballads. Never had an issue with noise.

Just ordered the M-ONE and connected it last night. I connected the 57 into the left input and out of the left output of the M-ONE into my channel on the board.

Had to disconnect due to a wind noise coming through the PA. Not a hum or high/low pitch but a wind type of noise as in shhhhhhhh.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/M-OneXL.asp

Any suggestion on the hookup? I must be doing something wrong. I just need some quality reverb at times and this unit was highly recommended.

I will call TC next week but I know that some of you will have the answer.

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
You need to run the M1 on a effects loop in the board rather than try and run the mic direct into it. That will both fix your issue (Probably) and allow other players to use the unit as well.

Plug the output of the M1 into the Aux return and the input into the aux send. Set the M1 to only output the "wet" signal. use the aux knobs to set the reverb level. You're good to go...

·
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fader, I will try that. I thought about doing it but the other members do not want or use any reverb. Just delay.

I will need to use XLR to 1/4" adapters to go into the effets loop. Hopefully that will not create a noise issue.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
John- The aux II send on the DFX is a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) balanced output. If you want to stay balanced, use a TRS 1/4" to XLR. It's probably OK to run unbalanced, but staying balanced will give you a better chance of not picking up noise.

·
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One last question and I will put it to rest. After I get the M-ONE connected to the effects loop on the board and I turn the "wet mix" of the M-ONE all the way off but keep the Mackie effects knob turned up for the built in delay will the effects loop connection override the board's delay on my channel? In other words will the use of the loop on my channel stop the built in effects of the Mackie board? What I have in mind is to continue using a little delay from the Mackie board then add some reverb to it from the M-ONE via the loop connection. Or do I need to forget the board delay and program everything through the M-ONE? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts