Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,356 Posts
Not much to go on here, but it looks like it might need considerable work. Check the neck octave key for an example. It doesn’t look like a great bargain to me. However, once put into good playable condition I would expect it to play well.

I would try to find a bargain horn that is setup well. Play on this until you have developed tenor chops (different from alto chops). Then once you are comfortable with tenor, you can decide if you want a different horn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much to go on here, but it looks like it might need considerable work. Check the neck octave key for an example. It doesn’t look like a great bargain to me. However, once put into good playable condition I would expect it to play well.
Yeah I suppose I'm more interested in how it CAN play / sound. I trust USA Horn to provide a horn in good shape, and my sax guy to take care of any other issues. So as far as this model goes, are they well regarded? I'm woefully ignorant of tenors, and even more so about vintage models.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,356 Posts
It should sound great. Some players take issue with the left pinky table keys, but I think they are fairly easy to adapt to.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,640 Posts
I like this era of Bundys and think that they can be a bargain. They do have a tenuous connection to the Conn "Chu Berry," but when the seller mentions that connection you can be assured that they also added another $300-500 to the asking price. My alto and tenor Geo Bundys are in better shape than the one you linked and I didn't pay over $250 for the tenor and I remember paying $140 for the alto. They both needed some work, but with new pads, etc., they can keep up with most anything out there. My alto Bundy is the horn that I've owned the longest. Others have come and gone. My Geo Bundy tenor died (and was therefore sold) under the crushing competition of an old Martin of the same vintage, but what tenor doesn't?

You should be able to get a clean Bundy "all in," i.e. ready to go with new pads, for $850. Others have commented favorably on the later Buescher made Bundy horns, but I've never had one. Regardless of who built the sax, my shopping goal is to find the cleanest, straightest horn, assume that it doesn't even play and will need $500 work. Assuming that it doesn't even play means I won't be disappointed. Also, although the accessories are often junk, check closely for a nice mouthpiece and updated (more protective) case. You will need both, so don't ignore the value of those items. A nice mouthpiece and case can also indicate that the sax was loved and cared for.

Mark

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,457 Posts
The dealer's ad copy claims it's a Conn stencil. I'd be concerned about that octave mechanism. There's a broken spring or something going on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the answers, very helpful.

Spoke with USA Horns and that one is sold anyway. So the hunt continues!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,927 Posts
Well....a Geo Bundy splitbell stencil is a real Conn...those are nice players. But I get what you are saying....

....as already noted...there really is perhaps only a tenuous thread of a connection to an actual Chu. If one is quite lenient....

And that USA Horn would actually use marketing bling to make that horn appear more valuable than it is...is sorta questionable ethics, there. Because they darn well know it isn't what they are intimating it is. Because of course USA Horn knows that Conn top-shelf models didn't appear with stencil names; only second shelfers did.

But hey...it's Internet Sales in the New Millenium: claim something...and maybe it'll stick, or at least someone will come along and fall for it.

But, if one ever comes across one of these for $250 project/$600 completely refurbed (i.e their real market value), they are quite decent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts