Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bergonzi says in his book :

The reason for replacing the 3 of the major with 4 of the minor and 2 of the major with 3 of the minor is to keep the same contour of shape of the melody within the chordal movement.
Then he goes on to show that a major 1235 pattern will have a minor equivalent of 1b345. I don't get it. Why not 12b35? Same shape, right?

One thing that's fun though is if you put 1235 in major and 1345 in the relative minor together it spells a pentatonic scale. Is it related?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yeah I dont get what hes saying here either. But Ive wondered the same thing. I always thought it had something to do with how the pentatonics were built and the relative major/minor thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,143 Posts
The patterns are generated from their respective pentatonic scales. 1235 are the first four notes of the major pentatonic and 1b345 are the first four notes of the minor pentatonic.

Just like any other book, it's a springboard. There's no reason to avoid practicing 12b35 in minor or 1345 in major if you like how they sound.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I had a revelation a few years ago when I realized that in Maiden Voyage, Herbie had just taken a pentatonic scale and voiced it p4, p4, p4, M3 (Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb). I then started improvising with that pentatonic, and used the other two notes in the dorian scale (minus one of the others) to make a related pentatonic. Is this the relationship he's talking about?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I had a revelation a few years ago when I realized that in Maiden Voyage, Herbie had just taken a pentatonic scale and voiced it p4, p4, p4, M3 (Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb). I then started improvising with that pentatonic, and used the other two notes in the dorian scale (minus one of the others) to make a related pentatonic. Is this the relationship he's talking about?
Sorry to derail the thread so quickly, but that voicing is the "So What" voicing. It's also a voicing that Frank Mantooth called one of his "Miracle Voicings", due to its many different uses.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The patterns are generated from their respective pentatonic scales. 1235 are the first four notes of the major pentatonic and 1b345 are the first four notes of the minor pentatonic.

Just like any other book, it's a springboard. There's no reason to avoid practicing 12b35 in minor or 1345 in major if you like how they sound.
Cool, that's kind of what I was guessing. I think some lines would call for one or the other. Thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts