Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good baritone saxophone mouth piece to play louder with? I sadly do not play very loud, I have been working on playing louder. I current play on a 5C mouth piece, I think it a yamaha.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Any piece with a high baffle will probably project more than your Yamaha 5C, however it will also change your tone, i.e. make it "brighter." There are always tradeoffs to consider.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've heard B Flat play bari and he knows what he's talking about!

·
Registered
128 Posts
What B Flat said. It's all about the air. I have lung issues and I can get plenty of volume out of most older hard rubber pieces - I have a King 4 that wails and Ralph Morgan Bundy 3 I wouldn't trade for the world. Dick Paladino made some pretty fine pieces too, if you can find one. His blanks were very similar to the Bundys and that ilk. It really doesn't take as much as air as you think to produce volume on a bari if you have the right set up. I actually have a harder time playing the alto than the bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,432 Posts
Depending on the player and how much air he can push, sometimes even the highest-baffle piece can work. Not many would try an original Level Air today because its about the highest/longest baffle possible but its what I ended up with on my modern low A bari. Listening to gig tapes I'm satisfied with the tone and intonation and I do get the projection I want with it. There have been several other mouthpieces very similar to the Level Air, namely the Runyon plastic Quantum and of course the ARB (Arnold Roy Brilhart). Whatever, you probably won't go in that direction at this time which is for the best. I probably would say a hard rubber Berg Larsen, about .115/2/M.
However, you should try different reeds before changing mouthpieces. For example, the Rico Plasticover reeds tend to have a nice 'bite' to them and I think a #3 would make it roar. Synthetics tend to be more 'brilliant' too. One that could possibly work is a Hemke 'Hemp' Medium.

The great thing about a synthetic reed is its always the same until it starts to wear out. That means every time you get the horn out it instantly plays just like the last time. This allows you to rapidly improve, and the next one you get should be just like the first one. This is a very important synthetic reed effect but is hardly ever mentioned.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Try a Rico Metalite M7. They're inexpensive are surprisingly good.

·
Registered
564 Posts
And loud, too

But, really, as others have said, it’s really all you. I currently use a Brancher E27 for jazz and pop, and a Vandoren Optimum B5 for classical. In the past I played an Otto Link, a Brilhart, a Runyon and a Selmer. I’ve never had a problem being as loud or as soft as I wanted on any of them.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Consider trying a Bari brand plastic reed on the Yamaha mouthpiece. It has a brighter edgy tone. Also try taking in more mouthpiece. If it is too hard to blow that way, go to a softer reed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Learning to make the most of the mouthpiece you have is a good idea - of course - but there are many mouthpieces to choose from. The Rico Metallites (suggested above) are dirt cheap, and would give the OP something distinctly different to try out. They will be too edgy for a normal concert band section though.

One of my bands overrecruited, and now has TEN trombones. I’m going to start wearing earplugs to rehearsals, but I’m also looking into my mouthpiece vault for lethal weapons. Combat reporting will follow.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Berg Larsen, Lawton and PPT mouthpieces can all be played pretty loud in my experience.
I tried a Rico Metallite and absolutely hated it, but other people love them.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I see some of you confusing "bright and cutting" with "loud". They aren't the same thing. Sure, you can get a high baffle piece that yields a bright buzzy grass cutter sound, but until you learn to blow through the thing not at it, you will have a low volume nasty sound instead of a low volume high quality sound.

Another interesting fact is that when you start putting a grown-up volume of air through the mouthpiece, those nasty high baffle pieces sound a lot better. That's why someone like 1sax (who has been playing a long time) gets good results from a Level Air.

Now to the OP: You are apparently a relative newcomer to the baritone, and probably to saxophone in general. My advice would be to go a couple numbers more open on the same general type of mouthpiece (Yamaha *C, Meyer, Otto Link hard rubber, and so on) and to work on air support. I have written several times about my own personal tone building exercises and if you're interested you should be able to search them out; but others here have written variations of the same kind of thing that will work equally well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll second the Rico Metalite M7. It's so inexpensive there really isn't a downside. Yes, you will also need to work on blowing, but you're never going to be loud on the 5C. The Rico will also set you up to try other popular (more expensive) mouthpieces.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
What is a good baritone saxophone mouth piece to play louder with? I sadly do not play very loud, I have been working on playing louder. I current play on a 5C mouth piece, I think it a yamaha.
I'd concur with the team here, maybe a harder reed and working on the air to support the sound. What are you playing for reed and strength now? What band/ settings are you playing in?

Lex

·
Registered
102 Posts
This. It will peel the paint off your walls.

Also try a BARI brand plastic reed with your current mouthpiece. I used to use those in high school band; they would vibrate so hard and play so loud they would puff up my bottom lip after a while.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I still recommend that you do not invest in a high baffle piece, rather one or two numbers more open of the same general type you have, and work on proper air stream management.

I guarantee that if we could be in the same room, I could take your equipment and play far louder than you, with superior projection. Why? Because I'm 56 years old and I've been largely specialized on the baritone sax for more than 30 years, spending a huge amount of time on tone development and having a big sound.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Also try a BARI brand plastic reed with your current mouthpiece. I used to use those in high school band; they would vibrate so hard and play so loud they would puff up my bottom lip after a while.
That has happened to me, though I don't think it's due to loudness. I believe the culprit will usually be a relatively narrow mouthpiece with a long, fairly open facing. In the case I remember, it was a baritone sax Runyon Custom 9; my bari playing colleague who tried my Bari reed and it bit him, was playing a rubber Berg Larsen. I wouldn't expect any trouble on that 5C, and it might work well - think they're best on relatively narrow tip openings like that, where they speak out more than some cane reeds.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'm not a loud player either but I'm happy with my Lamberson 7DD. My backup was a Berg Larsen which was a good mpc but wasn't as loud for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts