Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,186 Posts
Used to be a Prestini dealer when their horns were made in Taiwan and the Classic was a pro level horn. Very nice tenors with good pads. When they shifted to student level only and sourced production in China, quality dropped and I stopped dealing with them. If you have an opportunity to play the horn and like it, could be a good player.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, there were too many problems with the Prestini tenor I tried. It felt kind of cheap to me and the metal that the keys are made of felt a bit soft. Low register needed a lot of adjustment but the woodwind repair guy wasn't there that day. Overall, the sound wasn't bad, but I won't buy a horn unless the low notes come out easily. I do know however that sometimes the low notes don't come out due to a leak, not because there is really something wrong with the instrument. Anyhow, the Prestini was owned by a student and it looks like it took a pretty good beating. I think I'll skip that horn. Could have a really mint condition Yamaha 62 purple logo for $2800 at a local music store. I don't quite have that much money at the moment, but I will probably kick myself for letting this one go. They also have a Cannonball vintage reborn (used) for about 2 grand or I can try and get the price down on the Antigua tenor plus trade in some instruments I don't use anymore. I might try the Vito again also. The repair guy comes in on Tuesdays. I'll have him check the horns over. They also have this for sale, but alas, I don't have 4 grand. I would have to trade in quite a few instruments. http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msd/4820485830.html

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lacquered brass Antigua tenors have sold on eBay for $335-$550. These are the completed prices. There are lots more that high asking prices, over $1000, that did not sell. I wouldn't pay more than $600 for that horn.
I bought a pretty nice Antigua Winds Tenor for $325. I had a good sax tech go through it and it plays pretty well. It didn't need much. I would play alot of horns before I would pay $1200 for a used anything.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like most of the Antigua saxes, especially for the money. Somebody pointed out that Antigua's logo changed a few years ago. I can't remember the details but the saxes made after the logo change were supposed to be better. The Antigua soprano i owned was the newer logo and it was excellent. Also Sheryl, almost all the newer saxes have high F# key. So it is not unusual as it was years ago.
Wondering if Sheryl ever did anything? The change in logo was from "Antigua Winds" being on the bell vs the newer logo "Antigua". Just Antigua with no Winds. And this did coincide with model changes for the better. The horns with the Winds logo go for less money and these are the horns that have been seen on epay for $300 range prices. If the horn in question has the Winds logo then the $1200 price is way too high. And if it is one of the newer Antigua only logos it is quite reasonable.

And by the way, to my knowledge the silver horns Antigua built were all nickel plate, not actual silver. (They use the term "Nickel Silver" which is an alloy of Copper, Nickel, and zinc). No actual silver in "Nickel Silver". I have spent a lot of time in the Antigua NAMM show display the past 3 years running and all silver horns I played there were nickel plate. They look nice with the brass lacquer keys.

I owned an Antigua Pro One for about a year. It was absolutely a fantastic horn. There has been a demo pro One Tenor on epay for awhile at $1999. I have seen them go as low as $1500. They have some of the easiest playing low notes of anything I have played. Triple arms , adjustments, and rolled tone holes on the low keys. You can see one here. (Not mine).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antigua-Pro...085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9a617855

Willy O

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
77 Posts
You're in luck regarding ebay. Buyers have the sellers by the cojones. Anything you buy that turns out to be 'not as described' or having a 'defect' has total buyer's protection, assuming you pay via paypal. Ebay is very heavy handed with sellers and will nearly always side with the buyer, even when it is pretty obvious that the buyer is scamming the seller.

So, even though a seller may have a no-returns policy, you will still be able to return the item for a full refund if there is something wrong.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
If you're looking for a used tenor and have $1200 to spend, there are MANY better horns (both modern and vintage) that can be had -- like a used Yamaha YTS-61 or 62, a Yanaigisawa T-800 stencil, Buescher 156 etc....it's a long list.

Unless you own and play mulitple saxes...
Even Yani T880, T900 and T901 pops up in that range on occasion!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.