Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started working from exercises in "Top Tones" recently. The part where the Rascher says that overtone exercises are akin to "lip slurs" on brass instruments makes me wonder if he is implying that the exercises are supposed to played as slurred notes? I usually articulate each note somewhat, or have a brief pause between the notes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Articulating the notes might be easy at first, and that's a good way to get a feel for the throat position you need to attain the tones. That being said, you should be actually slurring the notes.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I think that there is value in practicing them both ways. But to start off, particularly with the upper harmonics where they get fairly close together, it's better to slur them until they are solid.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,728 Posts
ZiCheng said:
I started working from exercises in "Top Tones" recently. The part where the Rascher says that overtone exercises are akin to "lip slurs" on brass instruments makes me wonder if he is implying that the exercises are supposed to played as slurred notes? I usually articulate each note somewhat, or have a brief pause between the notes.
My interpretation is not that they should be slurred, but that they are a basic exercise for tone development as (I assume) lip slurs are on brass instruments.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Lip slurs on a brass instrument consist of playing several notes in the harmonic series (overtones) using one fingering and changing the airstream, shape of the tongue, etc. On a brass instrument they are practiced slurred to develop control of the airstream and the "voicing" of the notes inside the mouth. Because the notes are much easier to play when they are articulated, it defeats the whole purpose of the lip slurs to tongue the notes. I believe the same is true on the saxophone.

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I believe David Liebman says to slur them too. Some can be tricky to slur between, especially descending. And for those, you can use a "looping breath" where you just back off the air stream a little (but not stopping it) in order to get the next tone to speak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts