Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a clarinet that is for sale online. The seller says the crack is minor on the lower joint on where it connects with the bell.

I have posted a photo here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MU5QmZiuvNxNmNuQ9

It looks minor to me, but I'm no expert. Any thoughts? Normally I wouldn't be interested but this model doesn't appear too often.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's not as serious a concern as a crack in the upper portion of the clarinet. I'll leave it to the techs to suggest how to address it, but I'd buy it if it played well and the price was right, then I'd have a tech look at it.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Looks they the owner glued a chip back in. I wouldn't be too concerned about it at that location.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
It depends on your expectations. A tenon repair might cost $100+ and be worth it for an expensive clarinet. It might be a glue-it-and-forget-it repair on a lesser horn that just doesn’t matter.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
It depends on your expectations. A tenon repair might cost $100+ and be worth it for an expensive clarinet. It might be a glue-it-and-forget-it repair on a lesser horn that just doesn’t matter.
Looks like it's already glued, in which case you can fuhgetaboutit if the glue is holding. The OP should assembly with some amount of care if that is the route.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
What the others said.
But what crappy tenon cork material! I hope the standard of any other servicing is not that bad throughout the instrument..

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just took the clarinet to my tech today. It is a full Boehm Selmer Centered Tone. He thinks it's fine to leave the crack as it is. He thought it could have been dropped to cause that. He will be replacing some of the pads and tighten the mechanism. Some of the chimneys on the lower joint are chipped so I asked him to repair that as well.

It plays quite well as it is, with a darker sound than my late Series 9 which I was hoping it would.

·
17,204 Posts
I would call it a chip, not a crack. And in that location the issue is largely cosmetic. Chipped chimneys are a different story.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
What would concern me is the line on the wood which may indicate the tenon joint has been replaced. I may be wrong , but it looks like a graft. If it's had previous trauma there could be other issues.

·
17,204 Posts
It looks like a scratch to me. How crooked would you have to try to assemble it to get the left hand low spatulas to scratch like that?
No wonder the tenon got chipped!

·
17,204 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. But I cannot imagine doing a tenon graft with a junction there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts