Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The attached picture is of my Cubase LE master EQ plugin showing the frequency spread of my SAAT quartet during playback. As you can see the recording is very low frequency biassed with it rolling off rapidly above about 2kHz which, bearing in mind there's no bari present, is a bit odd. It's about the same for all the recordings I make of the quartet, and though I can compensate by EQing the higher frequencies up and pulling the lower ones down I'd rather not have to do that, I'd rather get it about right at source. I don't really understand why my recording have this low frequency bias, is it the microphones, is it the room, or is it just that the harmonics of four saxes played together tend towards a low frequency mean?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,335 Posts
Hard to say offhand. Most of the spectral energy of saxes is below 2K anyway. Much depends on how you mic the saxes. If you are close-micing, room acoustics shouldn't play a significant role. Otherwise, stuff in the room will absorb high frequencies much more than lows, especially stuff like curtains and carpets and bodies. You should probably use a white-noise generator and record the sound with your normal mic positions and see what the ambience is doing. Mics can also make a difference, of course, but I wouldn't expect significant rolloff with any decent mike below 6K at least.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
There really isn't much energy above 2k, and most of the energy is where I would expect a sax quartet. How does it sound? If it sounds bassy, it probably is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
There really isn't much energy above 2k, and most of the energy is where I would expect a sax quartet. How does it sound? If it sounds bassy, it probably is.
Agreed - And if it does here are some ideas. For pre-recorded material - EQ and move on. To avoid this in the future - here's a couple of tips that will give subtle results:

1. Keep your mic's out of the corner of the room
2. Move the mics closer to the instruments (away from the back wall) if you are recording the whole group throug a pair of mics.
3. Move the mic farther away from thie instruments if you are bell-micing them indivdually.
4. Raise the height of the mics.
5. If possible - record in a different space.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts