Sax on the Web Forum banner

Quarantine Polka (multitrack video)

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Michael_A 
#1 ·
I've been lacking motivation to practice woodwinds in quarantine, since a lot of what motivates me to practice and get better is being able to go out and use the stuff I'm working on in a band setting. But I've been seeing lots of multitrack videos, and have been working on this song on accordion, so here's my quarantine polka (cover of "Beer Barrel Polka" aka "Roll Out the Barrel"):

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_VSinvlwFv/

(I think you should be able to watch even if you don't have an instagram account).

Fair warning, my intonation is very rough in spots, and I'm not a very good clarinet player, but I had fun with this, and figured that with things being how they are, I should not let perfect be the enemy of "good enough". Plus, now that I know how to make these videos, I'm hoping to make some for the bands i play with, where everyone involved will actually be good at their instruments :)

#3 ·
Thanks for watching! I like that video, haha, and appreciate that my limited accordion dance moves are basically the same as the zombies/mummies in that video.

And good eye with the accordion! I bought it on ebay, from a guy in Ukraine (I'm in the U.S.). I looked for a B system, because I was originally inspired to buy one (last summer) because I was listening to balkan music at the time, and I read that that's what they use. It was a bit harder to learn I think, because I couldn't find a method book in English with B system fingerings, but I worked through part of an English language method book, figuring out fingerings on my own, and then have branched off and started learning other music I'm interested in. It was a pretty good value though for a 120 bass accordion in working condition.

#4 ·
Nicely done - good playing and a fun video.

I became interested in accordions last December and gave myself a year to decide exactly which features I want. It is a wonderfully complex and serious instrument.

#6 ·
Nicely build POLKA...
as a side note... in Russia the instrument you call accordion was called Bayan. And was used in different applications from Symphony orchestras to pop. And sure Accordion is another "guy". Interesting history of instrument.

Jaw Art Font Fashion accessory Office equipment

Human body Rectangle Font Violet Magenta

#12 ·
Thanks for listening and for the nice comments!

Nicely build POLKA...
as a side note... in Russia the instrument you call accordion was called Bayan. And was used in different applications from Symphony orchestras to pop. And sure Accordion is another "guy". Interesting history of instrument.
The guy I bought mine from listed it as a Bayan. I think it must have been made for the Russian market since the name is in Cyrillic script. I'm not sure if it is older and Russian made or newer and made in China.

Bach's Toccatta and Fugue in D Minor on a Bayan accordion. Very impressive.

Beautiful! I love the organ-like tone. Looks like he's playing a free bass, which is very impressive to me! I get around the left hand ok with the Stradella bass (skipped it for this video because I had the bari covering the bass line) but I imagine it must be very difficult to play complex melodies and chords on those tiny keys, all while also using the same arm to control the bellows. Maybe after I've been playing for 5-10 years I'll be ready to try a converter.

#15 ·
Thanks you! Glad you enjoyed it.

Oh mine... ha-ha-ha :) … when listened your clip I didn't take a look... When you mentioned Cyrillic, I opened it again... it's written Atlant (in Russian).
I cannot stop to laugh. Musical instrument with the name of sculptural giant. In Hermitage in Leningrad (Sankt Pitersbourg) there are huge Atlants from marble that "support" the entrance. Amazing architectural design.
But name of bayan... Probably the manufacturer wanted to show the POWER of the instrument and the link to Tokatta just confirms that.
I never met this brand of musical instruments in Soviet Union. I remember that pro baynists used East German brand Weltmeister and as a top was some Italian (don't remember the brand name).
Please don't be mad at me :) for a "critic" of "Atlant", you did a great job with bayan exploration.
Bests...
Thanks for the info on the name, that's very cool to know what the words means, since I don't read any russian. And no offense taken! This accordion/bayan is great for my needs, but it cost me $300-$400 on Ebay, so I would not expect it to be a super high end brand, just as I wouldn't expect my Kessler soprano to be the same as a Selmer!

#16 ·
Bayan "Atlant" is made by the factory of the Ukranian town Gitomir. So, not in China :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.