Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone give me some advice on a clarinet cases .

I have a pair of Selmer Clarinets in a double case but am looking to sell one but need a quality case to go with it . Can anyone recommend one , I have tried to source a Selmer case but they are very expensive and quite hard to source .

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
Selmer clarinets fit in any standard case. Unless it's an *A* clarinet.
Find what you can afford at WWBW, Amazon, or similar and call it good.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you're selling the A, a protec double case should fit them fairly well-it would fit my A perfectly fine if it didn't have an articulated G#, which meant I had to lengthen the case very slightly to get the lower joint to fit. The bells also initially fit a bit tight.
I don't think having a Selmer case much is going to help much in selling it-I would rather have a working double case with it than an original one that's falling apart. (although both of my Selmer single cases are as well preserved as the clarinets they came with. I will also add most of the old double cases I see usually work fine, however.)
If it's a Bb, search where bandmommy said-it should fit just about any case, if it doesn't have an articulated G# or a low Eb.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for taking the timeout to reply .

Its a standard Bb clarinet but was worried not having a cheaper case would detract from the resale value and more importantly the protection of the instrument . Will checkout the protec range .
thanks again

·
Registered
601 Posts
Plus one on Protec. Relatively inexpensive and well-made. The only knock on it would be there isn't much interior storage space. You won't recover the cost of a more expensive case when you sell, pretty much like putting a premium set of tires on a car you're getting rid of.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
When I was looking for a VERY compact case for my Buffet Bb soprano clarinet, I found a Yamaha case. It was the smallest hard-sided clarinet case I had seen - and still is. True, not much storage space, but it fit my needs perfectly.

Much depends on your goal - mine was to have a SMALL case so I could put it inside my large, checked suitcase for commercial air travel, so I could then carry on my soprano and alto. DAVE

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got one of the new Protec MicroZIP cases coming to me shortly after I saw them at NAMM. I've been using the clarinet portion of a Selmer Tri-pack case, and just chucking it in a shoulder bag, but the new Protec should be just as tiny, with a better seal to keep the humidity stable.
In my experience (5+ years former MI retail), original cases on clarinets don't change the resale price too much, and a well cared for of case can keep that resale price stable. Food for thought.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
My small Yamaha clarinet case is smaller than that clarinet-insert case that came with a tray-pack Selmer saxophone case. I had one of those tray-pack cases. Plus, the Yamaha case has a handle, so it can act as an independent case, if needed. DAVE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts