Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to go for the auto-wah effect that Jeff Coffin gets on "Scratch & Sniff"....

Ok guys, i got one of these things, and i'm trying to play tenor through an audio-technica ATM35 through it...

I have a XLR cable from my hip pack through a low->high impedance xlr->quarter inch adapter to the input of the the QTron+. From the output, i'm going to a behringer 1202, and just using the headphone out to listen for the time being.

From the manual, I gathered that for this i should set

Response - Slow
Range- Lo
I guessed that Mode BP would be fine

I am not sure what to do with Peak, Gain, Boost, and Sweep though. Just testing with my voice it kind of sounds like a laser effect from a starwars movie, not so much a wah...

also, what are the fx send and fx return jacks? I guess they are for an "effects loops", but i'm not sure about this. I ordered a book on beginners audio stuff, but it hasn't arrived yet , so maybe a 2 sentence crash course in the mean time? :)

Anyone who has used one of these to get this effect, please tell me the settings you've used to so i'll have a place to start!

Thanks,

David

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Fx send and fx rtn is an effects loop.

Fx send is an output and fx rtn is an input.

A 'wah' effect is basically a varible equalizer that automatically turns the 'dial'.

So I would imagine that:

Peak- How much of a frequency band is affected by the device

Gain-Probably to make up for any amplification 'lost' through the device.

Boost-How 'high' the peak is compared to the unaffected frequencies

Sweep-how far or maybe how fast the 'wah' goes through the frequencies.

...sure wish I could draw diagrams her--it'd make explanations much easier:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
436 Posts
Phantom Power

Hey, doesn't an ATM35 required Phantom Power? The QTron prolly wouldn't/couldn't pass it...:x If your mixer has an effects loop, that'd be your answer...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it can use phantom power or a battery - so i was using the atm35 with a battery into the qtron+ into the mixer

anyone else use this thing?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea... my Qtron+ still sounds NOTHING like jeff in that video...

i still haven't tried the fx loop... so i plug my mic straight into channel 1... then "FX Send" on the mixer out to "FX input" on the pedal, then "FX output" back to channel 2 of the mixer? Is that correct?

I'm not sure how that is any different from the "in-line" version that i have tried, but i'll go try it and let you know. if it doesn't work, i'll record something so maybe you guys can tell why it doesn't "wah" right??

thanks,

david

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a Qtron+ also,

works fine (although seldom used)

I use it in combination with my behringer rack-mixer. FX send from mixer to input of Qtron, Qtron output to one free channel on my mixer

Needs a little tweaking of the gain settings on the Qtron, but when ok, no adjustments are needed afterwards.
The dry/wet ratio can be controlled just by turning up/down the level of of the channel on the mixer. another advantage of this setup is the fact that you can eq the qtron signal (if you have an inline eq or an eq on your mixer).

The fxloop on the qtron itself, I don't use.

have fun "wha-ing"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts