Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, maybe you guys can help me. I am playing a sax into an SM57 which then goes into a Blue Tube pre-amp, then into a Qtron...which then goes into the board. When I turn the Qtron on it's much louder and there's some feedback. Turning it off makes the sax sound much quieter. Any ideas on how I can get the raw and processed signals to be equal as well as getting rid of the feedback.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Just do what Princeofsax does (see the red text):

For rock shows, my rig is currently (in signal chain order)
Volume Pedal (of course)
Ibanez Tube Screamer (light distortion, just for some edge on the tone)
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+ (envelope filter, like an auto wah)
-- compressor in the effect loop on the Q-Tron+ to keep the volume from
-- spiking and feeding back
Boss Super Shifter (harmony/octave)
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff (fuzz pedal, this is for really nasty sounding fuzz-tone)
Moog MuRF (multi resonance filter array) -- 8 Bandpass filters that you can set to engage at different times.. a swirling phase/chorus effect. I love this pedal...
Boss DD6 delay (with reverse and tap tempo)
I think you need to ditch your preamp. Doesn't the Q-Tron have its own preamp built in?

By the way, can you make it sound like this yet?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone...I'll try it without the pre amp...and get a volume pedal and compressor and see if that gets me where I need to be. The volume pedal can boost my uneffected sax sound. Eventually I'll try the other suggested pedals...Thanks

btw, in the studio, the qtron sounded great...kind of like scratch and sniff...no distortion and very funky.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,325 Posts
I think you need the "Q-tron Plus" to be able put stuff (e.g. a compressor) in the "effects loop," right?
I think in this case the "effects loop" just refers to the chain of pedals in between your instrument/microphone and amp. Many amplifiers have an extra set of inputs/outputs for the effects loop so you can plug your instrument/mic directly into the amp and run your pedals through the loop, ostensibly preserving more of the tone of your instrument.

OP, the Q-Tron is an envelope filter, and these can be very tricky to use with microphones, as you've experienced. The way they work is to let more high frequencies through in relation to the volume of the signal. This is why feedback spikes can be such an issue. Putting a compressor in your pedal loop after the Q-Tron is one way to control the signal (that's what compressors do), and it can also really help to use an amplifier instead of going directly into the PA. An amp will give you much more control over your amplified sound, which is crucial if you're using effects.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,922 Posts
Use an amp. The compressor will eat your sound unless you have a very very good one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you need the "Q-tron Plus" to be able put stuff (e.g. a compressor) in the "effects loop," right?
I do have a Qtron plus and am looking at getting a Black Finger compressor and possibly a volume pedal...that should take care of my problem.
I'm going to buy one item at a time and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.