Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of ditching my 20+ year old Mackie 1604 and the 12 rack spaces of effects that I use with it. Aside from the weight factor (almost 200 pounds less to carry), I'm concerned that some of this stuff is going to fail on a gig at the worst possible time. The newer digital mixers can do everything in one package.

Does anyone have any experience with the QSC TouchMix? I've looked at a lot of different brands, but QSC seems to really stand out from a value and functionality perspective. Online reviews are also highly favorable, but I always take those with a grain of salt, since it is the internet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have not used the QSC Touch Mix but for short demo. Nice unit and a great choice, but I LOVE the Midas MR18 I'm using with my son's jazz combo. The new small digital stagebox mixers w/ tablet control are pretty sweet. Best to use an external router, but I've used the internal one on the MR18 on plenty of small gigs. Use an app to scan for best wifi channel to use each time and always make sure to use password security for your network.
Mark

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have used the Touch Mix 16 for the past year or so and have been quite satisfied. It stays in my basement or gets trundled out to the occasional gig. It seems very solid and hasn't missed a beat. As one who wasn't very familiar with mixers and the terminology, it is taking me a while to use all of the features it offers, but I was able to get it running and usable right out of the box in no time. I ended up buying a used iPad mini to dedicate to using just with it. I haven't gotten everybody to download the app so the can each adjust the their monitor levels to their satisfaction (permissions set to their monitor only)- they would rather just complain about their monitor settings. But being able to park the mixer in a corner and then have the ability to walk around with the iPad and adjust settings is great. The qsc comes with its router built-in rather than having to buy and schlep around a separate router like some of the other mixers with wireless control do.

I believe the TouchMix 30 allows one to use the mixer as a recording interface which one hooks right into their computer, whereas the 8 and 16 don't have this option.

·
Registered
725 Posts
-
I have a Mackie DL32 that is a workhorse. It gets taken to gigs ALL THE TIME.
Had to take a look at that one- it doesn't have its own own screen, you must have an iPad. But other than that, what I really like it that the there are no manual gain knobs on the DL32. It bugs me that all of the stuff on my qsc is digitally controlled and saved and all, except for the gain knob settings. So one doesn't have ALL of the control at ones fingertips with the remote iPad, and the knobs are pretty sensitive and prone to being brushed against, especially when moving the unit. And I've always found Mackie to be good stuff at a good price point.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I have a Touchmix-8 for sale. If you're in the Western CT area I can let it go for 600.00 for a forum member. Like new condition, and all original packaging. I decided it was overkill for my solo setup. I went back to the little Behringer, which is fine for my purposes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts