Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I'm trying to decide on the best choice for an amp for my son's use playing alto.

I've considered every option discussed in the forum: guitar amp, keyboard amp, PA and powered speakers.

The current intended use is for:
1) on a parade float this weekend, playing in a combo with amped keyboard and bass guitar.

2) future use in the same combo

3) future use in other groups

I like the qsc k10 because it has 2 inputs that can be mixed, portability and the terrific sound quality with 1000 watts. I would agree that it might be alittle overkill, but I prefer purchasing for the future rather than the present.

Does anyone have any specific experience with qsc speakers, or advice in general on going with this solution.

Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've heard a pair of the K8s used in a small concert setting with bass, vocals, and guitar and no amps. Unbelievable sound. I suppose the K10s would have a little more low register presence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly. The k10s are 10" while the k8s are 8".

By coincidence, I'm sitting in a practice session right now, and I can barely hear the um-amplified sax playing 6 feet away, over the drums and amp keyboard and bass. I'm now convincde that the kid needs some good amplification to be heard.

By the way, is the Shure 57 still a choice?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The question about the float... It's actually a 16' flatbed truck that I have volunteered to drive for the past 8 Memorial Day parades. My kid started out riding shotgun at the age of 4. Now at 12, he's in the band. We're talking about a 1 mile drive down Main Street USA.

I'm supplying a generator..... and theres no PA. The k10 has two inputs. I would Mic up my kids sax plus the trombone player. Theres no vocal.

Gotta start somewhere. ;-)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I chose a K8 over a K10 because I wanted to minimize weight so I could actually transport a setup on DC metro. Amazing punch and sound, even with the smaller cone.

With the "Deep" bass-boost setting on the K8, the lows still sound quite good. I would imagine the K10 would be even better.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
By coincidence, I'm sitting in a practice session right now, and I can barely hear the um-amplified sax playing 6 feet away, over the drums and amp keyboard and bass. I'm now convincde that the kid needs some good amplification to be heard.

I've played maybe 100 gigs with my quintet; full drum set, electric guitar & bass (both amped) and two saxes unamplified. In smaller rooms and for restaurant gigs we have no trouble being heard. I've even played weddings with 100 guest without mics. For large venues or outside you will need amplification but if you are sitting there listening to them practice and you can't hear the sax over the amped electronic instruments than they are turned up too loud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts