Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about starting jazz sax lessons again after a two year hiatus, and hear that my instructor's fee is $225/hr. How does this cost compare with that charged by other, professional jazz player-instructors? I just want to get a feel for what the 'going rate' is, if there is such a thing. Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'm not sure how jazz may differ from classical, but my classical teacher, a pro in the premier marine band, charges $60/hr. The college professors I've talked to at top institutions like Northwestern and Indiana charge $100/hr. I've never heard of anyone charging as much as $225 until now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,178 Posts
Yeah $225 seems excessive unless you're talking about a well known artist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,641 Posts
Whoa! Is that a regular weekly rate, or a one-time thing? I don't know of anyone (Dick Oatts, Vincent Herring, Chris Potter included) charging that much. Honestly the "going rate" depends on the location and what other teachers in the area are charging. I'd ask around, then ask yourself if it's worth it TO YOU. If it is, go for it! It's your wallet, haha.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,905 Posts
Yeah that amount seems really excessive. I recall seeing aomewhere that Phil Woods (RIP) charged $100 an hour, but maybe this was years ago and not adjusted for inflation.

I will say though, when you find a teacher you really click with, and who brings out the best in your playing and improvement...that is a priceless relationship.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,885 Posts
It probably depends a lot on where you live and how much competition there is. Where I am, Pros teaching out of their homes charge approx. $50 per hour.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,148 Posts
The quoted rate is $225 an hour, $450 a month for two lessons. I assume, as in my past instructions with this teacher, we will agree to a 'contract' for a series of twice-monthly lessons to cover at least 6 months. - Bob
Wow! For that price I would expect to study with Michael Brecker from beyond the grave! Is this someone really famous? I charge 60 an hour because I like having a busy schedule of students. I also do half hour lessons for 30 because I know many people can't afford 60 bucks a week. Some other guys charge 75-125 but from what I can see those are mainly guys who are already pretty busy and really don't care if they get any students or not. But if they do.......they are going to make some good bread........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
The quoted rate is $225 an hour, $450 a month for two lessons. I assume, as in my past instructions with this teacher, we will agree to a 'contract' for a series of twice-monthly lessons to cover at least 6 months. - Bob
That is absolutely bonkers.

Eric Alexander charges $100 for an hour skype lesson. Maybe $120

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,148 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
For that price, I'd need a guarantee that I'd be playing like Charlie Parker by the end of the year.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ultimately, I guess only the individual can gauge the value of the teacher/lesson, but as others have said, that amount is very far outside the mainstream. And I suspect the teacher knows it also, which is why he asks for a "contract" for 6 months. He is running a business and figures he will get as much as someone is willing to pay. I think you should ask yourself if this person is really worth that much more money than other excellent players and teachers.

You obviously had a good experience with this person in the past, but I would personally find the whole thing off-putting and would look elsewhere. However, as Dave said, it's your wallet.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
And my wallet is none too flush with cash these days. - Bob
For a good teacher and fine player I wouldn't pay any more than $100/hour. Maybe a bit more in NYC, depending on the person.

If they want me to make a contract and commit to 6 months of lessons then I expect a discount off that.

When I was taking bass lessons recently I was paying $75 for an hour every other week and those lessons often ended up lasting two hours.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I am paying $ 56.00 an hour in western mass. and the teacher is awesome, I did take lessons awhile back from a young fella , music major from umass, @ a bit less per hour, I would probably still be with him but he moved to NYC to try to do that pro musician thing,

1 - 20 of 71 Posts