Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As some of you might know I play first tenor in an amateur Big Band in The Netherlands (Q Big Band Delft). We recently played a gig in the Central Train Station of the very nice Dutch historical city Delft.

I would like to share three clips from that concert with you. I play a short solo in each of them. The sound quality is not optimal and very loud, so you probably have to turn your volume a bit down. It was like playing in a bath room and it was very cold outside (snowing and about 2 Celsius, inside not much warmer :|). Also no solo microphone, so the mix is not optimal.

Enough excuses now :)! Here are the clips:

1. "Sweet Georgia Brown" (my solo starts around 1:22):
or

2. "I've Got The World On A String" (my solo starts around 2:02):
or

3. "Love Is Here To Stay" (my solo starts around 1:26):
or

I posted some clips of earlier concerts (2011) in >this< SOTW thread.

Enjoy :).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
19,063 Posts
Peter, thanks for sharing! Good playing as you always do.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Great sounding band. How do you play in such cold? I can't even tune my saxes up to pitch when it's that cold. Especially liked your solo in "world on a string". Must have been amazing to hear such a powerful band in such a live space.

·
Premium Member
18,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for listening and the comments guys :).

Great sounding band. How do you play in such cold? I can't even tune my saxes up to pitch when it's that cold. Especially liked your solo in "world on a string". Must have been amazing to hear such a powerful band in such a live space.
Thanks Wade. It was cold in the station, but we didn't have wind, so then it's a bit better for keeping pitch. In real outside circumstances it's much more difficult.

sounds good.. en the lady sang quite well too: de intercity naar schiedam-centraal... ;-)
Thanks Koen. Our singer (Anita Simons) just had a cold before this gig, but she sounded good. We have a lot of modern songs in our book too that she likes to sing (I only posted above some old tunes, because that's what I like :)). We try to have a complete song book, some old jazz, some modern jazz, some latin and some pop stuff (Buble covers and others).

Here is a clip of "Feeling Good", featuring our singer Anita Simons (unfortunately no sax or other solo's :|):

or

·
Premium Member
18,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like this song.. so the "lack of" solo's doesnt matter ;-) but this sounded real well despite of the clipping when the trumpets make some volume..
and the cold did got to her round 4min..
Thanks again Koen. Good ear, she indeed 'lost' a sentence just before 4:00 :).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,390 Posts
Great fun to see you guys ! Peter, you look SO relaxed while playing. Le Maître. Nice videos.

BTW, we (Jacques and I) also currently play "Feeling Good" in a big band with 2 vocalists. A lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
18,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dex and Ian :).

Great fun to see you guys ! Peter, you look SO relaxed while playing. Le Maître. Nice videos.

BTW, we (Jacques and I) also currently play "Feeling Good" in a big band with 2 vocalists. A lot of fun.
Dex, I'm almost always relaxed when playing, but I recall having a 'tricky moment' during this concert. Because of the cold my reed warped and didn't close that well during a big part of the first set. You can here a low ghost note (only air, no tone) in the beginning of my solo in I've Got The World On A String" (clip 2 in above post #1) because of that. I used my reed geek to flatten the reed in the break before the second set started, but didn't have time to test the reed. The first tune of the second set was "Sweet Georgia Brown" (clip 1 in above post #1) with a long tenor solo in, so I wasn't fully sure all notes would come out well from the 10* FL Link, but hapilly for me the solo wasn't too bad :).

"Feeling Good" is indeed wonderful with two vocalists. We are currently rehearsing with an added mail vocalist for some upcoming concerts. He sounds a bit like Ray Charles and he and our regular female vocalist will also sing that song, together with some new stuff we are currently learning. Sounds good and the public loves it, but I'm more an instrumental kind of guy and most enjoy the stuff without singer(s).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts