Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Fabulous, insightful interview, thanks so much for sharing!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
I was totally into it, until he mentioned Morton Feldman. Can't stand his music.

Great interview

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
A lot to think about, Mark's approach to music and life is very special. Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
"Basically learning how to play. I wasn't as interested in originality as in fundamentals. How could I approach making this music mine if I don't really know what it is and or cannot speak its language"

I'd say that Mark Turner represents one of the greatest modern examples of Originality through fundamentals (language). Heavy transcriber, but from one note you know it's him.

Mark solo at 6:40 ish.

Mark plays what I *just now made up*, Sly Blues. It's that slow burn like

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Jaleel - Thanks for posting this! It's probably the best interview with Mark Turner I've read anywhere.

·
Registered
818 Posts
This is such a great interview... Thanks Jaleel!

"I just try to keep things in perspective and maintain mindfulness on the task at hand. Perspective(what is really important in the relative and absolute, what is one's role/intention in a given situation) helps keep the ego( belief/clinging to an inherently existent I/self. Which includes all things associated with self such as... my body, my mind, my hopes, my fears, my desires, my aversions, my friends, my enemies, my material possessions, me, me, me and on and on etc) in check. Besides, ego is the killer of imagination...drags you down. Have no time for it. "

I've been trying, very hard, to work on this... To try to remove myself from the spectacle of the performance and just be w/, and respond to, the music.. it is sometimes a very difficult thing to do, but that has really been my focus...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts