Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am playing more and more bari in various bands these days. My problem with the bari is that I am forced to play it in a stand due the weight and neck and back trouble I have had over the years. My neck and upper back are in good shape right now but I dare not strap a bari on my harness for any length of time without risking injury that takes awhile to heal. So I play the horn between my legs (I'm tall) in a generic type stand. I am comfortable enough getting around on the bari this way but reading music can be awkward due my inabilty to move my neck while playing with the bari in the stand.

Here is my question: has anyone installed a floor peg on their bari? Is this a viable option for playing the bari comfortably like a bass clarinet? I have read that the Jupiter 900 Series bari and the just new Selmer Series III bari have this setup. I would love to see some photos of this. I really like my Yani 990 bari and would prefer to modify it rather than purchase another bari ($$$$) if the floor peg has some promise for me.

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hamilton makes a stand specifically for this purpose. I used one when I was recovering from surgery and wasn't supposed to lift anything(someone else got out the bari). You can articulate it into pretty much any position. Don't know if that's interesting or not..

·
2,063 Posts
The Yani B992p comes with a floor peg. I know you don't want to buy a new bari, but maybe there is a way to get that part and have someone custom fit it for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
801 Posts
Steer clear of the Hamilton stand if you are worried about the functional mechanisms that make up your horn. It suspends the whole weight of the horn from the bell, not from the back of the rear tube as is the design intention. They also can scar up your lacquer and do other damage by their attachment ring.

(I'm not a fan, as you can probably tell...)

There is one stand that suspends the horn from the neck strap ring. A bit more bulky, but a lot better for the horn.

I have seen Buffet baritones (in photographs) with a peg, and apparently Yamaha is now planning for them as well, as the YBS 52 case that I bought to replace the torn up one for my YBS 62 has a slot to accommodate just that sort of fitting. But, I've never actually touched one.

One problem with pegs for any amiable instrument (bass clarinet, bassoon, tuba) is that you can have real problems playing them if you have to stand up. If your group is one that has the sax line stand when they are taking a chorus together, you'll have to make arrangements to deal with that.

(I have a long peg for my bass (a Selmer extended range) that i can use on those rare occasions when standing and looking good is called for. However, I normally just put the short peg enabled horn up on a stool rather than go to all of the trouble to change it in and out.)

My solution for baritone weight is to rotate the horn onto my thigh every time I have more than eight beats of rest. This takes all of the weight off of your neck/shoulder during that time, and multiplied by the number of three bar or greater rests you will have over a five set evening, it makes a real difference.

Oh, and the shoulder type strap makes a big difference as well. I used to only use a neck strap when I played standing, but even there I have moved to an over-the-shoulder arrangement. It does mess up the line of the formal wear, but sacrifices have to be made.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,851 Posts
Selmer makes a peg for the newest Selmer baritone sax but it is only available in Europe. My friend Mike Brignola who plays bari for the Woody Herman orchestra spotted one while on a European tour and he asked me to get one for him.

I tried to get the peg from Selmer USA, but no luck and I work at a store that is a Selmer dealer. I even made a special request to Selmer executives when they visited our shop, pointing out to them that I was trying to help a very visible artist who has always played their product. No results. After a long wait, I gave up.

I finally got a Selmer peg from a European distributor through Benedikt Eppelsheim, who makes bass and contrabass saxophones. It only took a couple of weeks. It's sad that the best way to get a Selmer part is through one of their competitors.

If you can get the European peg, it mounts onto the Super action Series II baritone with no modifications, but it's not a simple installation. I would suggest having a repairman do it. It will also mount on a Mark VI baritone, but the peg receiver must be installed upside down. It works just as well that way.

Benedikt Eppelsheim makes a better peg with a receiver that solders onto the saxophone. Either one is expensive. Parts alone are well over $300.00

I have also successfully installed a Selmer bass clarinet peg and receiver on a Mark VI baritone sax. It's not as strong but the owner loves it - no problems. The receiver is a heavy chunk of metal and it's impossible to solder on without burning some lacquer, so there is some clean-up and touch-up required. Parts are less than half the cost. Be careful to install so that the horn still fits in the case. Mounting on the side of the bell (inside) is probably better.

In my opinion, a baritone peg is a good idea.

MY MYSPACE page:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

My starving bass sax video shows the Eppelsheim bass sax with the peg mounted on the side:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I play a Buffet SDA bari with a peg. Works great, but I can't find a case to fit it.
A better option is to construct a small stand to rest the bow on. Try a phone book or two to get the general height, then make a nice little non-skid padded stool for your horn. You can even make it long if you tend to move around a lot when you play.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had a peg put on my cannonball. My tech got a bass clar peg holder and soldered it on the front of the bell, just above the bow. Fits in the case fine (okay a little tight, but whatever). Best thing I ever did. I love playing bari on the peg :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
A bari stand can be made into a removable "peg" by taking the legs off and adding a couple of straps to hold it onto the bell. You may need to add a little extension to the center post.

Another possibility is to put a block on the floor under the horn. I used a stiff foam block from a yoga class (about 3x6x8 in.) that didn't skid and took most of the weight of the horn off my neck.

Glenn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,546 Posts
Have you tried a harness? They look dorky, but I put mine on under a jacket and just wear it all nite. Neotech, Gemini, and BG all make excellent adjustable harnesses that are reasonably priced...I even use mine now for 4-set tenor gigs. I used to use a Gemini but switched to a Neotech a few years back.

·
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shmuelyosef said:
Have you tried a harness? They look dorky, but I put mine on under a jacket and just wear it all nite. Neotech, Gemini, and BG all make excellent adjustable harnesses that are reasonably priced...I even use mine now for 4-set tenor gigs. I used to use a Gemini but switched to a Neotech a few years back.
Gino Nobili makes a great harness that works fine for me on tenor but causes me grief with the bari on it. It's a nerve problem in the upper back/lower neck and the extra 7 or 8 lbs. is the difference between playing comfortably and injury for me. I think I will get Gino to put peg on my bari real soon.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,888 Posts
My new 900 series Jupiter bari has a peg. Looks just like the one on the Yanagisawas.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
801 Posts
There is also the Crazy For You string bass solution. Install a peg on the bottom, then fit a caster wheel at the bottom. Not very stable for something as massive (in the classic sense of the word) as a baritone, but it would work.

·
Super Moderator
26,393 Posts
SOTSDO said:
There is also the Crazy For You string bass solution. Install a peg on the bottom, then fit a caster wheel at the bottom. Not very stable for something as massive (in the classic sense of the word) as a baritone, but it would work.
Zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom,
Slappa dat Bass!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like the Hamilton stand. Its utility is excellent, especially in a pit arrangement when you need to quickly switch between another sax and bari. You just set the position and roll the stand over when you need it. My bari is an old Big B with very little lacquer, so I was never worried about finish issues. The flared bell on the B makes it difficult to fit in a generic stand, so the Hamilton has worked great for me, no ill effects on the horn, either.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but Yamaha makes a bottom bow brace that has a peg slot (and it comes with the adjustable peg, obviously). I've got one. It would fit on any bari out there for sure. Simply unsolder the old brace, and solder on the new one! Done in no time, and no more bad backs!

PM me and I'll gladly send a photo of this...

Steve P

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Here, for comparison, are three different peg systems for bari. The first is the Selmer Series 3 bari, the second is the Yanagisawa, and the last (courtesy of SteveP) is the Yamaha. I'm going to explore one of these options as a retro-fit for my Series 2. The Yani and Yamaha are slightly different takes on the same concept.

Yamaha with peg retracted:

Yamaha with peg extended:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts