Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Always thank the men who allow us to transcend and the music will never end. The rhythms created by Johns Coltrane's guided musicians gave atmosphere to the music that allowed the "Sound Travel".
McCoy Tyner, piano
Jimmy Garrison, bass
Elvin Jones, drums
Your rhythm section provided a good atmosphere for "Sound Travel".

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,799 Posts
Wow! Great playing Dave! The energy reminds me of when I would first go see Garzone when I moved to Boston. Love it!

PS. As a side note it is also good to see someone actually dress up for a jazz gig like it actually matters. I hate that "cool" vibe jazzers try to give off where they are too cool to care about clothes. Brings back the suits Bird and Coltrane wore!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Great playing Dave! The energy reminds me of when I would first go see Garzone when I moved to Boston. Love it!

PS. As a side note it is also good to see someone actually dress up for a jazz gig like it actually matters. I hate that "cool" vibe jazzers try to give off where they are too cool to care about clothes. Brings back the suits Bird and Coltrane wore!!!
Thanks Steve!! Much appreciated. Don't get me started on jazz musicians thinking they're too cool for stuff...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

+1 -and yes, nice to see you looking so dapper. I play in a trio with an 85 y.o. guitar player who makes me dress up whereever we play- kind of a hassle but I actually enjoy it. He ALWAYS wears a tie and shines his shoes, even if we play at a pub ir backyard BBQ. He says where we play might not be classy, but WE'RE classy!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
+1 -and yes, nice to see you looking so dapper. I play in a trio with an 85 y.o. guitar player who makes me dress up whereever we play- kind of a hassle but I actually enjoy it. He ALWAYS wears a tie and shines his shoes, even if we play at a pub ir backyard BBQ. He says where we play might not be classy, but WE'RE classy!
Great playing Dave, and yes, it's great to see a musician dressed professionally on a gig. That's how you carry on the tradition IMO.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

I completely agree, though this reminds me of when Joshua Redman first came on the scene. I remember him getting a lot of flack for dressing up and was labeled as style over substance. I really wish jazz players could re-introduce a sense of style to their clothing.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

I wish I could. I can't 'carry' nice clothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts