Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sold outside the US many times, but never purchased. The seller wrapped the case in a thin layer of bubble wrap and no box. Fortunately there was no damage to the horn. I knew that the seller was not a sax player. My package went from Israel to Wa state in four days. Made a score on a super nice horn for a great price. Shipping was done by EMS and tracking through USPS. I admit I was nervous about this one.

What countries have you bought from with good results?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Italy, Spain, UK, US. I live in continental Europe.

I only had problems with the instruments coming from the US a few times, but never with the expensive ones. Those were always carefully wrapped and nice instruments. I do occasionally buy wrecks to experiment on and among those were the ones that were damaged. I think most of the time the problem was either 1) the seller had no idea about instrument (and no common sense) or 2) the seller misjudged the intercontinental shipping conditions.

What I learned from reading this forum is to send a polite message next time to the non-musician seller on how to wrap an instrument correctly :)

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
Of all the horns that I have seen and gone I have only had two incidents of extremely poor packaging. One was an absolutely mint CJS B&S from Columbia. Threw the cased horn in a one ply cardboard box with absolutely no tape, packaging materials inside or out. The horn bell was completely flattened. Luckily I have a very good tech who carefully bent it back into shape without damaging the matt finish.

The second was from the east coast to Oklahoma. The horn was a JK EX III in very good condition. When it arrived the case was duct taped only on the front and the Fed EX label was on the case itself. The bell lip was completely flattened and three of the post were knocked completely off the body.

I ended up having it repaired and then I sold it making the new owner aware of what had happened.

The Chinese pack better than anyone on earth imho.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
I have sold outside the US many times, but never purchased. The seller wrapped the case in a thin layer of bubble wrap and no box. Fortunately there was no damage to the horn. I knew that the seller was not a sax player. My package went from Israel to Wa state in four days. Made a score on a super nice horn for a great price. Shipping was done by EMS and tracking through USPS. I admit I was nervous about this one.

What countries have you bought from with good results?
Did you by that B&S? I thought you had enough of those :))))

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I did. I know you are right, I do have too many. Its an interesting color and pretty minty. Unfortunately I am one of the states that you have to pay tax on Ebay. However I had a 10% back coupon and negotiated a great deal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,361 Posts
I've purchased a few instruments over the years from Matthews Musiek in Edam, The Netherlands. I recall they ship by government post and every one has arrived in a timely fashion, well packed, and damage-free. DAVE

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
I've purchased a few instruments over the years from Matthews Musiek in Edam, The Netherlands. I recall they ship by government post and every one has arrived in a timely fashion, well packed, and damage-free. DAVE
Matthews is top notch

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
I was going to bid on that as well but having bought a 2001 last month and a Yamaha 52 this month I was tapped.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes off ebay from the U.S.A no problems at all very well packed U.S.P.S.tracked 1958 10M great horn i certainly would do it again .

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Years ago I bought a Weltklang silver plated bari from silversax on ebay.
This was before I was on this forum which he is {or was} on too.
Sent from the Ukraine.
Very well packed, only needed a small setup.
Still plays great.
I bought a sax here for him and packed it like he did and it made it there with no problems.
The seller wouldn't send it overseas so he paid me to purchase it.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
In 1978 I bought a Muramatsu flute from the manufacturer.
I sent a money order overseas and a friend of my father's picked it up at the factory in Japan.
He knew a stewardess who brought it through customs without any duty.
Solid silver custom DM model, low B, open hole, split E, inline with pointed arms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you remember how much you paid in US duties? I keep finding various percentages. The horn I want to purchase in the UK is originally from Japan. Also, what was the end carrier, US postal, ups etc?

Thanks,

Glen

·
14,361 Posts
Glen: I’ve never been charged or billed for fees involving purchases made through Matthews. I’m always prepared to pay the fees and would so if approached, but no customs’ fees have been charged. I once bought a clarinet directly from Howarth’s in London and I declared it when passing through US Customs coming home. That was in 1985 and I’ve forgotten what that cost me. No big deal, though.

The instruments were delivered to my house by USPS.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I've bought a couple of horns from foreign vendors: a Buescher 400 B12 tenor from SamAsh in North Carolina, and a King Zephyr alto from our own veracious JayePDX, before his epic transmogrification into JayeLID. Both were great horns at good prices, and packaged very well for the journey. But the exchange rate and customs fees were killer, which is why I try to buy domestically whenever possible.

·
4,442 Posts
I’ve received several shipped all within the US. Asking a non sax person to pack out properly is challenging. Octave mechanism damage on two. Easy fix just annoying and easy to prevent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts