Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, i have a question for you.
im looking for my first sax (alto sax) and i wish heard your opinions about this models and what you recomend me to buy. Thanks for your help!

. Selmer Bundy (60´s) USA
. Conn shoting star USA
. Selmer Bundy II USA
. Buescher TrueTone (50´s) USA
. Vito (Made in japan)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,289 Posts
Javier: Welcome to SOTW. First of all, if we knew where you lived and your budget, we could be a lot more helpful.

Next, Buescher dropped the model designation "TrueTone" in the late 1920's or early 1930's, but retained the TrueTone-logo trademark on their saxophones up until Selmer bought them out in the '50's. Their models following the TrueTone were Aristocrat and 400, all of which are highly desirable saxophones and great players (I own three of them in alto, one C-Mel, and a Bb soprano).

How did you come up with that list? DAVE

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The Buescher true tone might be much older than 1950's If it is a true tone with a serial number of that date, it might be really nice. If that is a horn you have access to, post pics and one of us can tell you if it is a 50's model. If it is, that would be the one. Stay away from the shooting star and the bundy II.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,246 Posts
Generalizations can often lead us astray. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Shooting Star Conn if it reads USA on the bell.
As a matter of fact, if it DOES....it is either a 50M or an Elkhart-made 14M...and it would be one of my top 2 choices in that list of yours.

Also....for a first sax, an old Bundy II isn't that bad a choice, if it is cheap. Arguably, it is better than 80% of the new student horns made today. So I would not cross that one off quite yet, either.

I would toss the Bundy '60's one outright, simply because the other 4 are either better or more appropriate for a beginner.

But as Dave says, it is hard to give focused feedback until you have provided some more info.

Budget, price of those horns, what musical context you will be using it for (is this for private lessons and learning ? Do you want to play in a band ? What kind of band ? How old are you ? Etc....)

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Condition is a huge issue since you're talking about instruments that are over 50 years old, but setting that aside The Buescher is the one I'd want to play, followed by the Conn (assuming it was made in USA).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts