Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the success rate these days in repairing pulled necks.I've got a SA80 tenor neck that needs attention...pulled down enough to leave barely enough pad to cover the vent..
Are these repairable with minimal detection?
Thx
J

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I've bent them back from a lot worse than that, but I always fear doing this. Someday the whole thing will split on me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
I have a question for the techicians among us. A friend bought a Mark VI (220XXX) a couple of days ago, the technician and seller is also a known player. Well, I noticed that the end bit of the neck (close to the end of the cork) is sligtly bent up-wards. My friend was told this was done deliberately to have the horn being further from the player. I thought this was a lot of taurus waste and that it was accidentally pulled up. What's your take on this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Neck repair isnt to bad these day, and most necks are repairable. The Neck I used on my bari before I got an original one from another horn was pulled at one point to where the metal was ripped. It was weak after it was fixed, but it was fixed to where I could play it until I found a new neck - over a year that way weak and covered in patches

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Milandro, as far as the school of though on intentional bending of the neck, I think its a load of crock and does more damage than good!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,982 Posts
milandro said:
I have a question for the techicians among us. A friend bought a Mark VI (220XXX) a couple of days ago, the technician and seller is also a known player. Well, I noticed that the end bit of the neck (close to the end of the cork) is sligtly bent up-wards. My friend was told this was done deliberately to have the horn being further from the player. I thought this was a lot of taurus waste and that it was accidentally pulled up. What's your take on this?
According to Selmer, the III tenor has the Mark VI style neck; and if you look at pictures of III tenors and compare them to Selmer's other pro tenors, the neck does appear to be bent up a bit so the horn would play a bit further from the player.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I recently had my VI neck worked on by a guy a Rayburns. Instead of "bending it back" he used a burnishing tool on the sides to get it back into the round. It made a tremendous difference. If you llok at those clips of Garzone ('97 with Brecker, Liebman, and Redman) and Lovano (with Thad Jones/Mel Lewis) you'll notice they've had extra brace work done as well. Apparently there are some other guys in town who've done this work to some decent success.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
Grumps said:
....... if you look at pictures of III tenors and compare them to Selmer's other pro tenors, the neck does appear to be bent up a bit so the horn would play a bit further from the player.
Thanks Grumps, Swampcabbage and Martin Williams. :)

this neck is not only pointing up, but it has a small but noticeable point where you can see it has been bent. I have seen other Selmers and they don't have anything like this. However it is a good point the one of a reinforcement to Mark VI necks. I've seen a couple and it wasn't clear to me if they were modified this way after an accident or in order to prevent one.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
jim70 said:
What is the success rate these days in repairing pulled necks.I've got a SA80 tenor neck that needs attention...pulled down enough to leave barely enough pad to cover the vent..
Are these repairable with minimal detection?
Thx
J
Jim, "minimal detection" being the operative here, naturally it depends on who's looking and how hard. Even assuming the metal work were excellent, with minimal elongation of the brass from metal-on-metal burnishing work, I'd say evidence of the repair would be there (to some more-discerning eyes) unless the work also includes a refinish, because lacquer and even plating will typically be affected in some way, at least along crease lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts