Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to post this, but I feel most at home in this forum.

I just read in the morning paper that Ornette Coleman has received the Pulitzer Prize for his live recording Sound Grammar.

Coleman said his cousin notified him that he had won the honor. "I didn't believe him," Coleman told the Associated Press. "I'm grateful to know that America is a really fantastic country."

Then the real mind blower for me at the end of the article, "An honorary prize was announced for John Coltrane". Trane was "Praised for his masterful improvization, supreme musicianship and iconic centrality to the history of jazz".

Any thoughts??

·
SOTW Administrator
26,231 Posts
Yeee Dawgeees!

Well deserved honors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
William Gass famously wrote that "[t]he Pulitzer Prize in fiction takes dead aim at mediocrity and almost never misses."

Given the history of its recipients, the same might be said about the Pulitzer Prize in music.

But this year the Pulitzer committee got it right, missing its customary target by a mile.

Ornette and Coltrane!

All saxophonists and music lovers are hereby permitted to commence unrestrained displays of exuberance.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
tenorcat said:
Then the real mind blower for me at the end of the article, "An honorary prize was announced for John Coltrane". Trane was "Praised for his masterful improvization, supreme musicianship and iconic centrality to the history of jazz". Any thoughts??
Apples and Oranges. I'm glad for Ornette and, frankly even more, for jazz. :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts