Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably like me, most dealers get multiple phishing-spam emails daily.

One came in today, spoofing a well-known mouthpiece maker's billing account (return email does not go to address in "sender" line). This was a weird one because it's so random that a scammer would spoof a boutique mouthpiece maker to try and launch some kind of attack, whether identity theft of funds theft. Weird. But real.

I'm leaving the mouthpiece maker's name out, to avoid unnecessary complications, since the mouthpiece maker obviously is not responsible.

But the email reads:

I would like you to confirm to me the status of our owed and unsettled payments if there is any. Please reply back to us immediately with the aggregate amount owed with the corresponding due dates for payment and invoices respectively.

I expect to read your immediate response and compliance to this message and I shall appreciate your obedience accordingly.

Please hold on with the payment so we can confirm with our records.

[redacted signature]
Regional Marketing Manager.

I was confused at first, as I haven't ordered from this company in quite a while. It's obviously not from the "Regional Marketing Manager" of anything but Putin's troll farm, lol.

Word to the wise.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I'd like to think that no one alive could fall for that. Tell me what payments you owe me, "if there is any." "I shall appreciate your obedience" -- LOL. Who in any business writes that way?

Foreign scammers could easily quadruple their income by hiring a native English-speaking crook with a solid background in business communications.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'd like to think that no one alive could fall for that. Tell me what payments you owe me, "if there is any." "I shall appreciate your obedience" -- LOL. Who in any business writes that way?

Foreign scammers could easily quadruple their income by hiring a native English-speaking crook with a solid background in business communications.
Maybe they are purposely targeting people who not only will fall for this but also not capable of following through with any kind of meaningful retaliation after they are taken.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,295 Posts
Maybe they are purposely targeting people who not only will fall for this but also not capable of following through with any kind of meaningful retaliation after they are taken.
In most cases I don't think spammers and fraudsters are targeting anyone, just sending out stuff in huge bulk and only need a few on the hook to make it worthwhile.

The more sophisticated scammers do targeted campaigns, e.g. the well known music teacher one.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...I actually wrote to the "spoofee" and would have to agree with his assessment that it "makes no sense" for anybody to spoof him, as the pool of potential victims is so small.

That's what makes it so weird.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, re LostConn, I could have written "Word to the unwise," but that wouldn't go over too well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts