Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having always had a soft-spot for Buffet horns, I had a GAS attack and got an S1. I had heard that the S1 had very good intonation, and I can tell you it is better than even my 2001 Yamaha YTS-62. Sitting in front of the turner and playing scales from top to bottom, the S1 was spot-on throughout. This is the third Buffet that I have played and or owned, the first was when I was in 7th grade, I played a school owned Super Dynaction, the band director had no idea what grade of horn that she had a 7th grader playing! I played that horn up to my Sophmore year of High school until the school got me a YTS-52 to play. The next Buffet was a pristine, early 1950's Dynaction Tenor that I owned, briefly, It however needed some work, more than I could afford, and traded it off for my Yamaha. Glad to say that I am back in the Buffet crowd! Enjoy some pictures of my rescent GAS attack!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Congrats. I keep thinking about picking up a SDA to go with my SDA Alto, but I haven't found one in good enough condition for the price I'm willing to pay at this time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats. I keep thinking about picking up a SDA to go with my SDA Alto, but I haven't found one in good enough condition for the price I'm willing to pay at this time.
That tends to be the problem when horns start getting 40, 50, 60+ years old. The S1 is showing that it is almost 40 years old. It has typical wear for its age and it has some acid bleed spots under the lacquer, but my 17-year-old Yamaha is having the same problem. Now I just need to decide if I want to have 2 tenors or sell the Yamaha.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That tends to be the problem when horns start getting 40, 50, 60+ years old. The S1 is showing that it is almost 40 years old. It has typical wear for its age and it has some acid bleed spots under the lacquer, but my 17-year-old Yamaha is having the same problem. Now I just need to decide if I want to have 2 tenors or sell the Yamaha.
Lacquer wear and stuff like that doesn't bother me, I have a 10M that has 0 left. It just seems like I see a bunch with major dents or necks that are trashed or what not, but they want top dollar for it.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
I love my S1. I don’t usually apply mystical terms to horns, but it’s like that one chose me. Best intonation ever, and it’s tone seems to do exactly what I need it to do when I need it to do it.

I had a YTS-875EX, and I just felt so much more connected to the S1 somehow. This particular horn has been mine twice, and it has a fascinating history.

I’ve been studying the history of ES/Buffet Crampon, and it’s really fascinating. They really have been around for the entire history of modern woodwinds and pioneered some of the features we take for granted on modern horns. They even have a deeper history than Selmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve been studying the history of ES/Buffet Crampon, and it’s really fascinating. They really have been around for the entire history of modern woodwinds and pioneered some of the features we take for granted on modern horns. They even have a deeper history than Selmer.
If I remember correctly, ES/Buffet was the first company to start buildings sax's after the original AS patent expired in 1866, so that would be 152 years of building Saxophones!

·
7,887 Posts
If I remember correctly, ES/Buffet was the first company to start buildings sax's after the original AS patent expired in 1866, so that would be 152 years of building Saxophones!
Well...sort of. That’s one of the interesting things. They took a break sometime in the late 90s. I’m trying to figure out exactly when that happened. But yes, they have been producing saxophones for longer than anyone else that is still around no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lacquer wear and stuff like that doesn't bother me, I have a 10M that has 0 left. It just seems like I see a bunch with major dents or necks that are trashed or what not, but they want top dollar for it.
There were/are a couple of those on eBay, the horn itself is in decent shape but the necks were pretty ugly with pull down repair. There is one dent on the S1 that I'll eventually get repaired, not affecting it playing, but I know it's there.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shortly after receiving the S1, on a whim, I put a bid on a Buffet Dynaction Alto on eBay not expecting to win it and ended up winning that sax as well. I took both horns to the shop and had some pads replaced as well as some adjustments, and wow, these are great saxophones. The S1 is better in tune with itself than my Yahama 62 tenor and can play whisper quiet with this rich French tone. The Dynaction is as powerful as my Conn NWII, but has the same French tone as the S1. While I could never sell the Conn as it is a Family instrument, the S1 is making question if I need to keep the Yamaha, a good problem to have I guess!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,925 Posts
Well...sort of. That’s one of the interesting things. They took a break sometime in the late 90s. I’m trying to figure out exactly when that happened. But yes, they have been producing saxophones for longer than anyone else that is still around no matter how you look at it.
Borgani claims more than 135 years in the trade as well. They had a 135 Anniversay model a few years ago - so I guess that may make it 140+. I don’t know whether they, too, have had breaks in production.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Need a S1 to join my S2 and Prestige tenors.
They truly are nice, mine will never be for sale :)

The S1 plays so nicely, I can go back and forth from my S1 to my YTS-62 and the Buffet will out-play the Yamaha. The Buffet just seems to have something that the Yamaha is missing, not that the Yamaha is bad - it is very good, the Buffet is just that much better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,125 Posts
…The S1 is better in tune with itself than my Yamaha 62 tenor and can play whisper quiet with this rich French tone…
That's good. How is the intonation when you play with a fixed pitch instrument, like organ or piano? I had a S1 alto and was expecting great intonation, but it really wasn't very good. Keep in mind, it was the European model: supposedly made to play at A=442.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,025 Posts
Every time I play something else for a while (including my 'Crat), I may like it a whole bunch but when I pick up my SDA again there's nothing like it. I'd love to get my hands on an early S1.

·
7,887 Posts
I never had problems with any of mine with fixed pitch instruments and I played with pianos all the time. Once you have an A442 instrument, it's pretty easy after a while to compensate for that as long as the instrument is in tune with itself. It's not like it's high pitch or A=435 or something.
That's good. How is the intonation when you play with a fixed pitch instrument, like organ or piano? I had a S1 alto and was expecting great intonation, but it really wasn't very good. Keep in mind, it was the European model: supposedly made to play at A=442.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have it tuned to A440 not 442, I can't change the tuning pitch on my cheap tuner to go to 442 :) I would assume that I have a 440 tuned model as they supposedly made both the 440 and 442 S1's.

·
7,887 Posts
There are a lot of horns tuned to A=442 including all Selmers made in France. It really isn’t a problem. Almost all mallet instruments are tuned that way too. 2Hz difference is about 8 cents sharp (to A=440) which is very easy to compensate for.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,125 Posts
... I would assume that I have a 440 tuned model as they supposedly made both the 440 and 442....
The serial numbers were different for the European models.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts