Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Protek Extreme depend on latches to keep it closed when you're carrying it by the handle or is there a strap of some kind straddling the two halves of the case?
Reason I ask is that my old rectangular case opened one day because of "latch failure" just when I was picking it up. No damage but it scared the life out of me.
Thanks. ATJ

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,440 Posts
I don't know about a Pro-Tec called EXTREME, but most of the Pro-Tec cases I have (a few) have zippered closures. DAVE

·
Registered
606 Posts
zipper

My Protec extreme alto case has a very robust zipper, and it looks like it will last a very long time. It has lugs for a good sized lock, too. Also, it has a shoulder strap plus backpack straps.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I also think that the new pro-tecs have a velcro closure for when some dumb ***** (who me? naw, couldn't happen) forgets to close the zipper:cool:

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Oops, sorry just looked up the Xtreme. It looks like a zipper to me. I like contoured cases, myself. Also, after 41+ years of putting my sax in it's case with the bell pointing towards the right, I would have a heck of a time remembering to turn it around to the left, like on the protec Xtreme.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,315 Posts
I have the Xtreme for Alto - It does sit in the case backwards for the norm. I find it to be as good as my BAM Trekking soprano case at 1/2 the cost. It has a zipper and PLENTY of storage.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,450 Posts
Do these cases have the semi-rigid skeleton like the contoured ProPac cases? The "regular" rectangular Pro Tec cases are too squishy for my tastes, but I'm a big fan of the contoured ProPac.

Also, are these cases friendly to LH bell keys? I'm looking for something for a Selmer Super alto.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have one of these cases and I love the zipper closure. I also use this as my doubling case...my clarinet case will fit in the front accessory pocket (with a good bit of stuff, too) and my flute fits in the back where the shoulder straps are supposed to hide when not in use. It isn't the most comfortable to wear with a flute in the back but it isn't unbearable. I also don't wear it much anyway, i just like the storage aspect of it.

I'll try to toss my Martin in it later to see how it handles the LH bell keys.

·
3,450 Posts
saxandstrings86 said:
I'll try to toss my Martin in it later to see how it handles the LH bell keys.
Thanks!

Great to hear about the backpack configuration as well. I often double or triple at church - and while my family makes pretty good roadies on Sunday mornings, I feel like a traveling salesman if they are not with me.

How's the Cereal City, by the way? Was the smell of Corn Flakes in the air this morning? I miss that so much and enjoy it when I visit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,636 Posts
Great cases! I have two now, for both tenor and alto the backpack was one of the reasons why I chose it because I very often cycle to the places where I play (parking fees are killing us here in Holland!:( ) zip and velcro almost impossible to have accidents there!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,722 Posts
hakukani said:
I also think that the new pro-tecs have a velcro closure for when some dumb ***** (who me? naw, couldn't happen) forgets to close the zipper:cool:
Hey, you there! Yeah, you, crybaby, the one with the saxophone in pieces on the ground in front of you. Hey! Your fly is open! :shock:

I agree with the sentiment of the ol' Cajun Chef - wore suspenders AND a belt 'cause he was a retired safety engineer. The double handles on my Walt Johnson do provide an extra measure of comfort. Yeah, pour me another measure of Southern Comfort... :cool:

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Dr G said:
Hey, you there! Yeah, you, crybaby, the one with the saxophone in pieces on the ground in front of you. Hey! Your fly is open! :shock:

I agree with the sentiment of the ol' Cajun Chef - wore suspenders AND a belt 'cause he was a retired safety engineer. The double handles on my Walt Johnson do provide an extra measure of comfort. Yeah, pour me another measure of Southern Comfort... :cool:
Luckily that scenario hasn't happened. Just a couple of near misses. The protec does indeed have two straps also. Just luck that I picked it up by the hand straps instead of the shoulder strap.

·
3,450 Posts
Thanks, Dave! That is great news.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,440 Posts
You're welcome. I had to laugh after I did that . . . the horn I removed so the Cigar Cutter would go in was a Buescher Big B . . . you got it; left-hand bell pads. DAVE

·
3,450 Posts
Good to know that the ProPac Extreme doesn't discriminate against age or national origin.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Glad someone else tried too today, but my Martin fits like a glove as well.

What can I say? I love the smell as I drive down Capitol Ave everyday. smells like burnt corn flakes, and that smells pretty good around here. How often does someone /enjoy/ the smell of their city? The last one I was living in smelled like sulfur and the ethanol plant.

How long you been out of the Cereal City anyway? I've only been here for about a month, and I'll be moving along again in a few more, but I certainly do enjoy it here.

·
3,450 Posts
1988. It's just a shame you can't tour Kelloggs anymore. The museum they built was ok, but that too is now a goner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My parents and I were in the museum opening day...i think i was in middle school...man, that was something special to me then.

I still remember the warm box of corn flakes at the end, right off the line...

·
3,450 Posts
Just to keep things on topic...

I wonder how big a box of Corn Flakes I could fit in the outer pocket of the ProTec Extreme. Enough to feed maybe a dozen people at the World's Longest Breakfast table?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts