Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,454 Posts
I saw Kenny Garrett here in Denver last week, and he walked on-stage with his sax on, carrying his case. He set the case down next to the piano and played. Later in the set they went off-stage for one of those pauses that encourage applause, and he kept his sax on and grabbed his case when he went off. He brought it back when he returned for the encore. As soon as the set was done, he put the sax in the case and walked out the front door of the club with it. His approach to security extends to the case as well as the sax!
... and whatever is in the case.

·
35,454 Posts
Yeah, it's threads like this that make me wary of people that want to talk about my gear at a gig. It's a pity that the thought of being ripped off even exists.

·
35,454 Posts
Just last week a guy came up to me at a gig and asked, "Is that really a Balanced Action tenor?"
I turned to the keyboard player and told him this is why you see me sometimes with a Japanese sax.
OK, why? Because you are offended by others geeking out on your gear, or because you perceive a threat of theft?

·
35,454 Posts
Civilians know too much with the inter web thing they have now.
I've had a mint SBA stolen. I know what it feels like to have a prized tool taken.
My Mk VI sop was stolen years ago - along with my Teac 3440 and a target pistol.

I, too, have become cautious about talking gear with strangers in clubs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts