Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,443 Posts
I too case my instruments immediately after a gig. I carry them off stage and into a "safe zone" where I give them a quick wipe and get packed up.

When a sound company or our own road crew go to strike a stage, it becomes the most dangerous hour (or two) of any gig. Everyone's tired and some of them are probably buzzed. Everyone want's to go home or back to the room or anywhere but the venue.

Festival and concert gigs always have security so I don't mind leaving instruments on stage after sound check. Depending on the gig, I'll leave them onstage during breaks at bar gigs too. The requirement is that there has to be a stage high enough that people cant fall onto it. Our sound and lights guys watch the stage on breaks. We are all over 50 and no longer have the motivation to try and do all the work ourselves...

Even with a road crew however, I handle my own instruments whenever possible... Sometimes they just have to go on the truck though. When that happens, you just have to trust it will all be OK. Our guys care about the gear and seem to care about us, so they treat it pretty well and I think they feel important (which they are) when they are watching our backs...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,443 Posts
I used to play 100+ hard core blues gigs a year. Those found me at the back door of many inner city bars after 1:00 (or 2:00) am. Often alone carrying a $3,000+ instrument. I am not that imposing an individual. I carried those nights - not so much to protect the instrument as to protect myself. Murder and strong arm robbery was not that unusual in the ?hood?. Back alleys and dark parking lots being the least safe areas around... I have never had to wield it but I suspect my hand in the pocket of my gig bag saved me a few times. Junkies, thugs, and miscreants in general we?re not uncommon sights. (Or smells) Hell - I?d hang out with some of them for a smoke, but i suspect it was clear that I was alert and ready for trouble... the thing is....I kinda miss that band. We never practiced, some of the members changed constantly, but they were all good players who knew the language and audiences loved it...something about the magic between the front man and I made it all worth it..... ah well.... no such problems with my current band, but old habits die hard... even in those rooms, I left my sax on stage during breaks, but I did keep an eye on it...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts