Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
This is why I have a "gig horn." Actually I really love my gig horn and would be heartbroken if someone stole it, but I feel much more comfortable knowing I have about $1K invested in the object perched precariously on my sax stand as opposed to $7K.

I know many others prefer to play more expensive horns when they perform, but this is what works for me and allows me to relax and enjoy myself.
I do the same. The Mark VI I've had forever started staying home a lot more after I had a guy walk up to me at a resataurant gig and ask me the serial number. Civilians know too much now.
Bar gigs, that's why they make Japanese saxes.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I’ve chained a bari sax to a large piece of the set at a dinner theater. Pure laziness not to take it home every night but I felt confident since they had a night watchmen and a lot more things a thief would go for.
I wouldn’t do it again since I heard some junkies stole the guts to their central air. It seems they do this for a few bucks at the scrap yard.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Yeah, I've had some close calls. Had to jump out of the way a few times. And I did watch a fellow sax player right next to me get his horn pushed into his teeth. Luckily he only suffered a cut lip and the horn was ok, but it could have turned out much worse.
Big girls jumping on the stage and standing behind me almost did that. One of them put her fat clammy arm around me trying to hug me.
Security bum rushed them right out the door.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Just last week a guy came up to me at a gig and asked, “Is that really a Balanced Action tenor?”
I turned to the keyboard player and told him this is why you see me sometimes with a Japanese sax.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Civilians know too much with the inter web thing they have now.
I’ve had a mint SBA stolen. I know what it feels like to have a prized tool taken.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts