Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I will be taking my tenor on an international flight to Australia in a couple of weeks. I'm using a Hiscox Artist case so hopefully I'll be able to stick it in the overhead compartment. However, just in case I have to put it in the hold, is there a need to protect the case latches from opening? I was thinking of locking a latch (only one latch has a lock) and then using packing tape or luggage straps over the other latches for extra protection. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dwarrier

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts

·
14,399 Posts
You MAY run into trouble with TSA (or if not in the U.S., with whatever security agency deals with checked luggage at the beginning of a flight) by sealing a checked-bag. Locks on checked luggage in the U.S. need to be TSA compliant; meaning, after you turn it over to the airline, security agents must have the ability to look inside the thing. That's why they sell TSA-approved locks to secure checked luggage. Each TSA lock has a code and TSA has a variety of keys to open TSA-approved coded locks.

So, at the end of your flight, you may find that security agents broke into your checked luggage to examine it for dangerous things. Others with more experience than me may counter that opinion, but that's the way I'm guessing it will be. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,354 Posts
Not sure if you are flying from the US, but if so, the TSA is likely to break open that locked latch, like they do with locked suitcases. I would think about using a ratchet type strap (or straps) instead. I've flown quite a bit with a tenor lately and haven't had to check it. Depends on the airline. Delta seems to be the worst in terms of being unfriendly to musicians.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
Dave is right. If you fly from the US, you'd better not lock your case with a key (or any suitcase for that matter). I would use a good luggage strap and ducktape the latches (ie have some ducktape or masking tape handy, if you can't bring it along in the cabin).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks for the advice guys! I'm planning to check my tenor at the gate if they don't allow it on board, so hopefully they'll let me lock it then.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I use an Ocky strap. Simple and very reliable. I use a very short one each with my Hiscox and SKB-440.

The only hazard is it taking an eye out!;)

·
2,620 Posts
One side note - if you are going to use tape, use gaffer tape instead of duct tape. It won't leave a sticky mess on your latches like duct tape will.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Although that's easily removed with a little "Goof Off", mineral spirits, or kerosene.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,208 Posts
I would find two draw straps of nylon or similar (like the shoulder straps) and tighten it around the case. Easy to reopen, reusable and safe. Big Brother can open them OK.

·
14,399 Posts
I once had a straight Buescher TT sop in its original case - and the case's latches were not very good. I bought a small black dog-collar at the local pet store - it was just big enough to go around the case at the handle and buckle up. On my Buescher C-Mel case, same latch problem, so I bought a thin men's trouser belt and buckled that around the case. VERY secure and easily removed. DAVE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts