Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got one of these for my Martin tenor. Yesterday I open the case and notice that my Otto Link mouthpiece was missing, odd. Well maybe I left it out by accident the day before and didn't put it back. So I grabbed another mouthpiece and started playing. Then I noticed that some of my notes were really flat, and a worble in the lower register. DAMNIT! I just got this thing fixed. Turns out, somehow my Otto Link came out from under the velcro straps, and go into my bell and get stuck in the middle of my sax. I then put a broom handle down it, only cause it was the only thing I had long enough for, and just pop it out.

Has anyone else had this kind of issue with their Protec case?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,803 Posts
yes, if I don’t secure my mouthpiece well it has come loose, but never when I put the velcro tight.

My mouthpiece has never found its way in the saxophone though. Of course if you put you mouthpiece in the receptacle and put a small roll of carton around it it won’t happen again

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Buy two bottles of Crown Royal whiskey, in the little purple felt bags. Use one bag for the neck, the other for the mouthpiece, stuff down the bell. Drink the booze.

There, glad I could fix that for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
I only have one of the new Pro Tecs with the silly little pouch/strap but for all of my horns the mouthpiece is kept in the bell in a pouch. The stuffer in the bell makes it a tight, secure fit. Don't need a stuffer for the baritone bell since water doesn't get that far when playing, so the mouthpiece and neck go in a combined pouch down the bell with the accessory bag also in there on top of the pouch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
Its like Rovner - they make a good ligature but five years later when you need another one, its discontinued, so you have to start over. But I really just came back to say re: turf3's post, +1 on the Crown Royal bags! I've been using them for about thirty years. I actually don't like Canadian whiskey but those who do will usually gladly give you the bags. I think they also have cool black bags now too - I definitely will stop by the liquor store and see if they have some lying around. I was playing at a shopping center one day, just putting my horn together, and a lady came out of the liquor store toward me with a box. I'm thinking 'Whoa, I could use a drink but is this my lucky day?', but she only had a box of Crown Royal bags. She saw me with one in my case and thought I might want some more, and she was right!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Buy two bottles of Crown Royal whiskey, in the little purple felt bags. Use one bag for the neck, the other for the mouthpiece, stuff down the bell. Drink the booze.

^THIS^. If you don't feel like pounding some Crown Royal, just go to Hobby Lobby, Michael's......any "craft/hobby" store and you should be able to find some small cloth bags that cinch at the top.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
I would NEVER (yes, I am yelling) leave my mouthpiece unprotected in a case. They always go into a Kiwi pouch of some sort - either into the storage compartment of the case in a mouthpiece pouch, or into the bell in the combo pouch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
Mine are the old protec contoured cases. My alto has a vertical slot that the mouthpiece sits in and stays secure. My tenor has a horizontal tray type pocket for the mouthpiece to lay in, and it stays there. Thing is though, if I didn't want to keep my mouthpieces in there, I'd just put 'em in the side zippered pocket/pouch where the spares reside (in Crown Royal bags!).

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Didn't they discontinue those bags some years back? Though proudly Canadian, I prefer bourbon to Crown Royal, so can't be sure. I have saved up a few myself, however.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Oh, I've never seen the little bitty ones like that (for pints or half pints?) Only the bigger ones for fifths. Those are really cool.

I have the distinct impression that the fifths still come in the bag. But I'm not sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
Didn't they discontinue those bags some years back? Though proudly Canadian, I prefer bourbon to Crown Royal, so can't be sure. I have saved up a few myself, however.
Yeah, I don't favor the drink myself, but guys I played basketball with for years drank it after every game. So I gotta drawer full of these bags.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Apparently I lucked out and got one of the good Propacks, everything stays where it should. But this idea may help those less fortunate than I:

Mouthpiece Cases For Singles

Attach a lanyard or string to the zipper tab for easy removal from a tenor or bari bell. Fits tight in an alto.

·
Registered
37 Posts

It's worked well for me for over 50 years ;)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Those are really cool.
I have the distinct impression that the fifths still come in the bag. But I'm not sure.
Right? Perfect for mps. Sadly, I don't have the bottles that came in them--though again, it's not my preferred poison.

I gotta drawer full of these bags.
Hang on to 'em, Grumps, they're great for necks, and will be collectors items some day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
^THIS^. If you don't feel like pounding some Crown Royal, just go to Hobby Lobby, Michael's......any "craft/hobby" store and you should be able to find some small cloth bags that cinch at the top.
Do a Google search for Crown Royal bags if that's what you really want. You can order them from many places, including Amazon.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
I guess it depends on the case to some extent. My BAM case has a slot for the mpc and another one for the neck. Once the case is closed, neither the mpc nor the neck can move or become dislodged in any way.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Do a Google search for Crown Royal bags if that's what you really want. You can order them from many places, including Amazon.
This is true, but I ordered about 40 cloth bags with string cinch's off eBay for something like 4 bucks. All of my mouthpieces in my dungeon drawer now have little homes.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've been using a Kiwi neck pouch that has a separate space for mouthpiece for over 20 years. Never been an issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts