Sax on the Web Forum banner

Protec Pro Pac for BC ?

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Congaree BC 
#1 ·
I was going to post this in the "Cases" forum but it's specific to the bass clarinet. Hope you don't mind. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Protec cases. I had one several years ago for my Low-Eb and it was great. I sold it when I sold that instrument. Bad move.

I ordered a new one and it is designed for a Low-C with blocks to retrofit it for the Low-Eb. Well, I guess it's an OK concept if I don't mind toting around a little extra size and weight. However, the pads in the top of the lid are only about 1.5 to 2 inches wide and are positioned at the far ends of the top lid. Those pads are the only thing that secures the instrument in a Pro Pac case.

Here's the problem, if you use the blocks to properly modify the case for a Low-Eb BC, then one end or the other is not under one of the pads which allows for a free-floating instrument banging up against the rest of the lid which is not padded. In other words, it does not work. Photos are here.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Protec says they've been making them this way for 5 years and have never had a complaint. Also, if you look at the photo on the Protec site, it shows a Vito Eb (just like mine) in a case where the instrument fits on both ends just like my old case did. Amazon and WWBW have similar photos. Does anyone know where I can find an "old" model?? I can't afford a more expensive case and can't find one on Ebay.:(

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have both a recent and an older Pro-Pac for bass, both designed for down-to-low-Eb single-piece basses. (I didn't know there were low C variants - you sure?)
The newer has a block of velvet covered foam that can be removed to accomodate a low-Eb-on-body (as opposed to on-bell) basses as they have a ~3 cm longer body. Both versions are identical apart from that, and they work just great.
(The model number of mine is PB-319)

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The Low-C has 22 keys as opposed to 19. I don't know the actual length. The case may not be long enough accommodate the Low-C.

Anyway, both instruments in my photos are Vito 7166 (Eb Key on the bell) so the photos compare apples to apples. There are no blocks on the photo with the white background (Stock photo). The other thing to focus on is the way the pads line up in my photo. When the case closes, the pad in the top of the lid will not have contact with the neck, only with the block. Because that is the only way this case is designed to secure the instrument, it can't.

The answer to resolving it is simple, make the pad inside the lid moveable by attaching it to the lid with velcro. Had this not been a brand new case, I would have done it myself. I'd still love to find one that matches the stock photo fitting the Vito 7166 only. Maybe the old one I had was made before the "bell on the body" became popular and it was just well-preserved.

I'm looking into just getting an Altieri cover made for my old case. The cost is about the same. Again, I really do appreciate the reply.

#7 ·
You are AWESOME! Finally someone understands there is a problem AND illustrates exactly what it is. I was way off about the low-C theory. I never thought about the Eb key on the bell vs. on the body.

Do you know how old the "old" one is? And if anyone still sells them?

#8 ·
One thing I just noticed in looking again. Your photo of "Hypothetical bass with Low E only - not supported by the pad in the cover", sits exactly the way my Bass Clarinet to Low-Eb with the key on the bell sits in the new case. That's why I had the trouble. Is the Vito perhaps a little shorter that the other models you used? I've never heard of a difference but... Actually, it wouldn't tune if it were. Would it?
I uploaded a couple of other photos that show that my instrument doesn't even butt up against the end block as your does. It's about 1/2" from the end block so it was sliding back and forth as well, but I knew I could fix that well enough.

#9 ·
I bought the "old" one roughly two years ago, but I don't know if it was an old stock item or if Protec rejuventated their stuff in the meantime.
I guess your best bet would be to confront ProTec with these pictures and ask them if they have some of their old stock left. Customer feedback is always welcome, and I'm sure they'll come up with a solution for your problem.

#10 ·
(just saw your answer after posting)
Well, even more reason to contact the manufacturer.
The lower end (and the thumb rest in the middle) have some wiggle room, so you could put some material on the lower end in order to shift the whole instrument a bit upwards, so that either end is beneath a lid cushion.
For the record, the bass in the picture is an Artley, a Bundy Clone. The other one (for the new case) is a Jupiter 675 with the Eb on the body, so the long case is perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.