Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new Protec case. Didn't break the bank ($150) and a real nice case. I had and old Protec case from the late 90's which I gave to a student. This one is much nicer (although I never had an issue with my old case).

·
Registered
647 Posts
Agreed. I use (new style) protec on my instruments, and have never had an incident with them. Very well designed cases.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've been using ProTec cases since 2000 and have never had a problem with any of them. I've dropped cases, loaded instruments under bus's and checked them at the airport and not once have I had a damaged instrument.
I wish I could say the same about my custom 'flight' tenor case (brand will remain un-named as it is popular around these forums), when all was said and done it cost my $375 in repairs.

I'll stick with my ProTec.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Well, it wasn't one of my prouder moments, lets leave it at that.

·
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have been using a protec since 96 and I am not gentle with things...No case related problems.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just bought a new one and I can't argue one bit. They have really come a long way. Definitely the right price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
:D @ gary

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Yeah.....all you need until you drop it from about 3 feet high accidentally. One thing I agree with...(but will add on to)....."Save your money....DON'T by a ProTec! It almost DESTROYED my Mark VI when the strap broke! Better to spend more money on a GREAT case rather than spending it later on repair bills!
I had the same strap problem with an older case. (About three years old) They recently replaced it at no charge. The new ProTec's seem to have addressed this issue. All the seams are better made. +1 for the ProTec

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
just got my soprano/alto protec and they are holding up thus far. let us see how long will this last :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
wait for it....Waaaiiiiiitttt for it...............

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've seen the "new" ProTec's and they haven't addressed the main issue which is lateral movement on the inside of the case. Until they do that, BEWARE! If there is ANY lateral movement in the upper body tube, then it's a recipe for disaster. That's what happened to my Mark VI in a ProTec. Of course the strap breaking from the seam was the initial issue, but it was when the case hit the ground with a THUD and the sax moved on the inside of the case....bending the entire main body tube. No sir.....NEVER again with a ProTec! :tsk:
Do you have anything better to do?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Your point being?.....
It seems like every post made about Protec gets spammed by you and your hatred for them. Its great that you are so passionate about your dislike of Protec cases and I understand that you want to warn people of a bad experience you had with them, but these people in this post haven't even requested input on buying a Protec. Heck, the OP already bought one and was expressing his/her like of it. They are just here to say that they are happy with their purchase. I am sorry for my first reply being so vague, but I just think that you might want to give the continual Protec bashing a break.

·
Administrator Emerita
11,597 Posts
Admin Note

It seems like every post made about Protec gets spammed by you and your hatred for them. Its great that you are so passionate about your dislike of Protec cases and I understand that you want to warn people ...
Good. I’m glad that got clarified. Let’s try not to get too passionate about your likes and dislikes, ok guys?
– Thanks

·
6,086 Posts
I'm not convinced you've tested the latest model. They are in two sizes now for tenor and both my Chu and my modern Selmer fit very tightly in the smaller case. It might be worth a look. I haven't noticed the lateral movement you speak of with these. I do keep a small hand towel next to the neck but the horns fit so tightly, I can't imagine an issue there.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The solution is to get rid of those Mark VI's and purchase some serious horns.

·
6,086 Posts
Hi Fader. I'm speaking of the new ProTec XL Contoured Alto and Tenor cases. I have Mark VI's for both Alto and Tenor and they both fit too loosely in the case.....(just like my older ProTec Contoured of 6+ years ago). Any lateral movement is too much.....and I could move the upper body tube at least 1/4" laterally.
You do know the XL stands for "extra large" I hope. The new contour cases are slightly smaller than the old ones. My modern Selmer Paris (SA80II) sax and my old Conn's (Pre 1930) both fit nicely (and snug) in the new cases, no problems. It seems an easy fix to stop a 1/4" lateral movement using any number of creative ideas. For a pittance, you could hand-make an end plug thats simply a 1/4" wider on one side. Of course you could always just buy something else, but unless it's a case made for a specific model of sax (or a custom one-off), they all could use a bit of a tweak here and there (based on my limited experience.)

·
7,867 Posts
In any case, the fact that a horn does not fit EXACTLY says nothing about the quality of the case. Most cases are made to fit a variety of models.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts