Sax on the Web Forum banner

Protec Bari case stench!

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  saxshell 
#1 ·
I just bought this case and after 2 weeks of my bari being housed there, I have noticed a pretty foul odor, similar to dirty feet. :|

I don't want to blame my horn simply because the thing hasn't been in there long enough to stink the thing up. I know I have added some moisture by playing and putting away, but my old bari case does not stink at all.

Two days ago, I placed 2 bounce sheets in the case. I opened it up this morning and noticed that the smell is toned down a bit but is definitely still there. Any of you guys had this problem?

I guess I thought I was getting a good deal on this case. I really love the way the horn fits in there, but man I don't want my bari smelling like somebody's out of control foot fungus. How can I remove this thorn in my side?

#2 ·
Finnerski said:
I just bought this case and after 2 weeks of my bari being housed there, I have noticed a pretty foul odor, similar to dirty feet. :|

I don't want to blame my horn simply because the thing hasn't been in there long enough to stink the thing up. I know I have added some moisture by playing and putting away, but my old bari case does not stink at all.

Two days ago, I placed 2 bounce sheets in the case. I opened it up this morning and noticed that the smell is toned down a bit but is definitely still there. Any of you guys had this problem?

I guess I thought I was getting a good deal on this case. I really love the way the horn fits in there, but man I don't want my bari smelling like somebody's out of control foot fungus. How can I remove this thorn in my side?
Foot fungus is a thorn in your side!?:shock:

Unknown in the annals of science. Hopeless case. Next case please.:D

#3 ·
Reedsplinter said:
Foot fungus is a thorn in your side!?:shock:

Unknown in the annals of science. Hopeless case. Next case please.:D
Yes, the fungus among us would qualify as a thorn in my side. But seriously, this is a brand new case. Its the inside material itself that really smells bad. I have it sitting open right now still with the fabric softener inside. Its getting better, hopefully not a hopeless case! Its a protec pro-pac contoured by the way, I left that part out when I posted this.

#4 ·
I have an SKB that smelled from the glue they used. I left if open for a while and eventually it went away. As I recall the dealer advised putting it out in the sun, which were were short on at the time.

#5 ·
You have a few options other than the Bounce sheets. Leaving the case open to air is a good start.

1) Take the case back and let the retailer smell the funk. You may get a replacement or your money back.

2) Try some Doctors Products or Super "C" Case deoderizer.

3) Make doubly sure the inside of your Bari AND mouthpiece are clean.

4) If all else fails,,,,,Wash your feet before playing.:D

#6 ·
bandmommy said:
You have a few options other than the Bounce sheets. Leaving the case open to air is a good start.

1) Take the case back and let the retailer smell the funk. You may get a replacement or your money back.

2) Try some Doctors Products or Super "C" Case deoderizer.

3) Make doubly sure the inside of your Bari AND mouthpiece are clean.

4) If all else fails,,,,,Wash your feet before playing.:D
1) Purchased at WWBW. It would cost almost as much to ship as what the case cost, I think.

2) Thanks for that idea, I will get some of that.

3) All of my hard earned money goes towards buying my equipment, so I guarantee you my babies are clean. :D

4) My feet have spent a lot of time in wet ski boots, so thats how I relate with the athletes foot. I got a great foot doc though. :D

#7 ·
This is quite curious to me though. I understand that old cases become infested with all sorts of stuff, and problems develop; there was a thread about that here about maybe 3 weeks ago. But why would a new case smell that way? The glue smell someone mentioned, yes -- that I can imagine; that, or various other smells that might have to do with the manufacturing process; and those I take it would probably dissipate in a little while. But -- assuming that the Finnish Irishman is accurately describing this odor -- why would a new case do this? Is it possible it was stored badly at WWBW? In which case it might be worth calling them at least to discuss it. If you can persuade them that there is something off about this product, they OUGHT to pay the return shipping and replace it.

#10 ·
Reedsplinter said:
This is quite curious to me though. I understand that old cases become infested with all sorts of stuff, and problems develop; there was a thread about that here about maybe 3 weeks ago. But why would a new case smell that way? The glue smell someone mentioned, yes -- that I can imagine; that, or various other smells that might have to do with the manufacturing process; and those I take it would probably dissipate in a little while. But -- assuming that the Finnish Irishman is accurately describing this odor -- why would a new case do this? Is it possible it was stored badly at WWBW? In which case it might be worth calling them at least to discuss it. If you can persuade them that there is something off about this product, they OUGHT to pay the return shipping and replace it.
Yeah splinter man, I was quite surprised myself that a brand new case would smell this bad. I think Anglo might have hit the nail on the head with the glue idea. The stench does kind of have a hint of an "industrial" smell to it. It does seem to be getting a little better now that I have had the case open for a few hours. I hoping to resolve this without having to deal with the folks in South Bend.

#13 ·
I guess I can leave it out on my back patio. I'll have to let the dog know that this isn't a new doggie bed. :D It's been sitting open all day in my bedroom and actually smells like we are making progress!

Anyway, thanks guys and gals for the input. I'll follow up after the smell subsides.

#14 ·
baking soda helps

I've noticed that stench in protecs for years. I've been told it's the glue. The air-drying & leaving it in the sun do help, also try one of those baking soda boxes for the fridge. (Or sprinkle with baking soda and vacuum it out) I think it works better than dryer sheets. A few drops of peppermint oil or can help mask the lingering smell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.