Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing a protec pro pac alto sax case (the rectangle, not contoured) I searched the internet along with the forum, but could not find much info about them. Does anyone have this case? If so, what do you think. Is 109$ a good price? Is the case durable? Anything that you know about the case will be helpful. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,565 Posts
the rectangular cases are not as sturdy (at least the only one I ever had) as the contoured ones because they are not hard shell cases.

I'd much rather spend a few more bucks and get the superior safety of the contour model ( buy no other model that the hard shell models please! do yourself a favor!)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey- just saw this in the 'What's New' section- a bit of an old post, but...

The Protec Pro Pac case has a wooden shell like the contoured, I have both. A quick google search turned up this description: http://saxalley.com/prottec-standard-alto-case.html. For the extra $50, I like the contoured better- feels better over my shoulder, especially when I am carrying multiple instruments. Looks like $110 is pretty much the going rate on these (rectangular) cases- $160 or so for contoured.

Either way, you can't go wrong with these cases. They are extremely durable & provide peace of mind in just about any situation.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I have a rectangular version of the Protec alto sax case, which I bought about 25 years ago. It looks very much like the one shown in the SaxAlley ad which is linked in post #4 above, with one difference is that in my 25-year old Protec case, there is no space in front of the bell to store things (the ad linked above shows a mouthpiece in this space).

I have been very happy with this Protec case - my alto fits very snugly in the padding inside the case. My rectangular case does have a wooden shell. I would not consider the exterior part of my Protec case to be as strong as the original case that came with my Mark VI which I bought new in 1975 (and I still have that case for comparison), but the Protec provides better protection overall because of the interior padding. And I would not want to put my alto sax in any place where the extra hardness of a harder exterior case would matter, because I assume that means some additional harsh treatment would come along with that. Perhaps your philosophy of how you want to protect your instrument will influence whether you would want a Protec rectangular case or something with a harder exterior.

My Protec came with a shoulder strap but I don't use it because I don't believe in using in shoulder straps for instrument cases in general - I even cringe when I see my son use a shoulder strap on his smaller and much lighter trumpet case.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Protec came with a shoulder strap but I don't use it because I don't believe in using in shoulder straps for instrument cases in general - I even cringe when I see my son use a shoulder strap on his smaller and much lighter trumpet case.
You would think I would learn from a strap buckle snapping on me on the way into a gig... Horn wasn't damaged, but gave me a scare. In the words of the great Gump- stupid is as stupid does... LOL

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I have a couple friends with them. They're ok. They are hardshell cases, but as HarmonizerNJ mentioned, they aren't quite as armored as the original case -- biasing a little towards lightness over crush strength. They, and their "Contour" relatives (which I favor too) aren't up to being sat on, but they'll hold up just fine for every day use. WAY BETTER protection than a gig bag, no where near as heavy as the original. As long as you aren't consigning it to baggage claim on an airline or aren't planning to use it as a stool, it will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts