Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month or so ago I acquired a Sakshama Florida piece 2nd hand. While I like the piece overall, tonally, I found it wanted to chirp a fair bit and maybe was a little more resistant than I'd like. I emailed Sak and asked if he had any suggestions, since he was the original maker.

He replied, "Send it to me," so I did.

He received it Saturday. Monday evening I received an email stating that the table and facing looked perfect but in his opinion there was probably too much baffle for the tip opening (0.094) and that was probably causing the issues I was having. Over the course of exchanging emails with him over 30 minutes he finally replied: I extended the facing by 0.005 to 24.5 and brought the baffle down a hair, now it plays nice and open for me.

He only asked for $ to cover return shipping and got it back in the mail the next day, I should receive it tomorrow and I'm very excited to see how it turned out.

Now then. With multiple threads on this forum, and multiple posts on Facebook about re-facers who don't reply after they take your money, or who tell you something will be done in a week and that week goes by, then it's 2 more weeks, etc... we have Sakshama who took a mouthpiece from me THAT I ACQUIRED 2ND HAND, tweaked it for me for NO CHARGE and did it all in one day.

Amazing. This is the kind of service that wins business, and I encourage all of you to consider his pieces when you're in the market for something new to try out.

I will update when I receive the piece tomorrow, but I'm very sure I will be more than pleased.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Last year I bought a clear ROC Britone Tenor piece from Sakshama via Ebay. It got to me quickly and it was in great shape like he described. But what struck me most about him was his great humility. I sent him a message letting him know I got it and that it was a great piece. If I recall, I expressed to him that I wished I could afford one his MBIIs. But I didn't think my level of playing could justify that kind of expense. His response was very honest and has really stuck with me:
"Having a good mouthpieces is not a matter of deserving it. If playing a saxophone is where your heart is, you enjoy it and can afford it why not? My level of playing doesn't deserve any of my playing toys, I'm completely open about it.
All my best, Sakshama"
Who can argue with that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds familiar, I’ve had a few good dealings with him so far but his last one took the cake. Anyway, for an update, the piece sings now and I had to go up .5 strength in reed to get there. It’s a winner I think.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
That's an amazing story. My Sakshama Link is still the most versatile Link I've owned. Dramatically changes depending on the reed, which is odd.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I have Sak's Studio G for Alto I bought to replace an orig DG alto studio, while mine is a bit cosmetically challenged Sak's version plays with more versatility and depth for sure.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have his DR tenor piece and he also refaced an alto piece for me. A pleasure to deal with and great pieces to play.

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Amen to that, Sebastian.
Sak is a great guy, and does very good work. I recommend him all the time when people ask who to use for refacing work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts