Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two months ago, I opened up the case to my Buffet SDA alto after doing a concert band show and I found the low B pad had fallen out. CRAP!!! Since then I've been playing my 6M. But I was missing the SDA the whole time because it has the uncanny ability to play at a slight whisper like no sax I've ever tried. That's a big attribute for our band. The director is picky about dynamics.

So anyway, while I was on vacation this week visiting friends in NYC, I decided to let Matt do the work on it. He and I had in the past exchanged a few messages about trading a horn that I had later changed my mind on. But, I told him I would give him some work when I could. So when the time came, he took me right away even though he was busy. I explained that due to my schedule I would need to drop the sax off on Monday and pick it up by Saturday. He said no problem even though Wednesday was a holiday. After dropping it off on Monday, I got a call on Thursday explaining there was more work needed than we originally discussed. This wasn't a total surprise to me seeing I played the SDA almost every day before it needed attention. I just said do whatever you feel it needs to be in tip top shape. I then got a call later in the day to give me an update. Cool :cool:

Long story short... I picked up the sax today and it plays better than ever. Too bad he wasn't there for me to tell him in person. So I just felt I'll shout out some props here for him. I've had a few run ins with different techs over the last two years. There's been times I felt I wasn't taken seriously. You know... It's the "you're not a pro so why should I be in any rush to do things right" type attitude. More than once I thought the work was not their best from the get go and/or promised service times never happened. The service I got from Matt was refreshing. I'd gladly take the train north again.

Thank you,
Tim

·
Registered
268 Posts
You made a great choice! Matt is a top notch tech (I've never played a better adjusted horn than the Dolnet Royal Jazz alto I picked up from him), but just as importantly (to me), he's a great guy to work with. Definitely the only guy in NYC I'd go to to have repair work done, even if it means a longer wait.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,393 Posts
I agree with you also,,
Matt is a great guy and i would not hesitate to do business with him again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
tjontheroad said:
Long story short... I picked up the sax today and it plays better than ever. Too bad he wasn't there for me to tell him in person. So I just felt I'll shout out some props here for him. I've had a few run ins with different techs over the last two years. There's been times I felt I wasn't taken seriously. You know... It's the "you're not a pro so why should I be in any rush to do things right" type attitude. More than once I thought the work was not their best from the get go and/or promised service times never happened. The service I got from Matt was refreshing. I'd gladly take the train north again.

Thank you,
Tim
Heck, if I wasn't such a tree-hugger and so worried about my carbon footprint, I'd take a plane from Europe to NY to have Matt adjust my horn again!:D

I agree, the service you get from Matt is really first-rate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts