Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a mouthpiece with more projection and more "edge" than my jody jazz hr. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Reed strength and different types of reeds will also play brighter/darker. Sorry, but there are just so many variables. There are obviously many higher baffle mouthpieces out there that will give you more projection and edge, but how much core of your sound you want to sacrifice for those things is another very important thing to consider. Do you only play one type of music where you always need more of those characteristics or do you play in different bands and different styles. See what I'm saying? I and others could throw around many different brands of mouthpieces that would give you more edge and projection, but without knowing some of the things I just mentioned and especially not hearing you play, it's literally a crap shoot. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,554 Posts
Perhaps a slightly stiffer reed and more air.
As much as I didn’t like the JJ HR pieces it wasn’t because they lacked the characteristics to project if enough air is put through them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,400 Posts
the easy answer, which you will no doubt get, is to get something with an higher baffle ( and I have no doubt that you will get hundreds of different suggestions totaling in the end the entire market spectrum, which will also mean that you will be , at the end, where you’ve started, and will need to try them all or make a choice, both things that you can do now).

The more complicated answer is that you can learn to project more by altering the way you play.

My teacher always compared sound to a snow ball, you compress it and travels far, you don’t compress it and you trow it and falls only few meters away.

Incidentally similar questions have been asked before

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Jody Jazz projects plenty in the right hands. The lead alto in my big band plays one and can knock the walls down with it. In this case I’d say practice and experiment with different reeds. You don’t need a different mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,321 Posts
Jody Jazz projects plenty in the right hands. The lead alto in my big band plays one and can knock the walls down with it. In this case I’d say practice and experiment with different reeds. You don’t need a different mouthpiece.
I agree with this. You already selected a mouthpiece that projects very well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,400 Posts
projection is not necessarily a thing that goes with loudness or brightness, if that were so when you hear an opera you would only hear a soprano and tenor voice.

from the video below : (equipment..... will only make you sound like a “ noisier” version of you...)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
In general for me going to a harder reed will increase projection. As stated above, one should not confuse brightness and projection. Projection could be seen as a bow and arrow. The more tension you put in the bow (stronger reed), the further the arrow will travel. The associated cost for more projection and harder reed is ... increased breath support and stronger embouchure. Worth trying because it really pays off IMO.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
I tend to agree but you seem to be implying it is nothing to do with the mouthpiece, that it's all down to the player. I believe it is a bit of each. The projection (ie loudness)of a mouthpiece depends on many things. Tip opening, baffle, chamber facing curve to name a few. Then there is also reed and of course the player's ability to be loud or edgy which I believe is just as important, if not more so, but can be diminished by a mouthpiece that is not helping.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I tend to agree but you seem to be implying it is nothing to do with the mouthpiece, that it's all down to the player. I believe it is a bit of each. The projection (ie loudness)of a mouthpiece depends on many things. Tip opening, baffle, chamber facing curve to name a few. Then there is also reed and of course the player's ability to be loud or edgy which I believe is just as important, if not more so, but can be diminished by a mouthpiece that is not helping.
I don't think I implied that at all. There are lots of mouthpiece designs that don't project well. The Jody Jazz, however, already has all the factors needed for projection (the right opening, baffle, chamber, etc.).

·
Registered
272 Posts
To me, hands down is the RPC https://www.saxmpc.com . Give Ron a call (his number is on the web site) and talk to him to tell him what you want. I have bought from him before and will never go back. I play alto and soprano.

Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having no issues regarding projection on my Mark VI with a Jody HR mouthpiece. What I DID do was get the Francois Louis HR ligature, and that paired with my Rigotti Jazz reeds improved the projection enormously! people think it's always the mouthpiece or reed, but forget the ligature makes as much of an impact as the preceeding two

1 - 20 of 27 Posts